• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon1 J5 for Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Neil

The J5 started appearing in shops in Hong Kong about 1 week ago so I ordered mine and picked it up yesterday. A quick charge of the battery and I headed out to the wetlands with it.
Unfortunately thunderstorms curtailed my outing before I had time to put it on the scope but I did shoot some stills and video with it. It handles well and has some nice features. Nikon still hasn't sorted out the overheating in Video Mode though.
I'll post some photos and comments in the Nikon thread and do some digiscoping tests in the next two days.
Neil.

Out in the wetlands on Monday with the J5 and the Sony RX100M4. The sensor in the J5 produces video of similar quality to the little Sony.
I like the fast burst mode of the J5 for the fast action of the young egrets feeding. I even shot a 60fps burst.
I do wish it had a viewfinder though as it would make it easier to find close focus with the scope.
Neil.

Nikon 1 J5 + 11-27.5mm and 18.5 mm lenses and Swarovski STX85 mm scope and DCB11 adapter
Maipo Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China.
3rd August 2015

Attachments

• digiscoping egrets night herons nesting MP iphone6 IMG_6171.jpg
    digiscoping egrets night herons nesting MP iphone6 IMG_6171.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 229
  • great egrets chicks feed MP HK J5 11-27.5mm stx85_DSC3505.jpg
    great egrets chicks feed MP HK J5 11-27.5mm stx85_DSC3505.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 365
  • great egret chicks MP HK J5 11-27.5mm stx85_DSC3380.jpg
    great egret chicks MP HK J5 11-27.5mm stx85_DSC3380.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 234
  • great egret chicks MP HK J5 18.5mm stx85_DSC3516.jpg
    great egret chicks MP HK J5 18.5mm stx85_DSC3516.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 189
  • bc night heron juvs MP HK J5 11-27.5mm stx85_DSC3361.jpg
    bc night heron juvs MP HK J5 11-27.5mm stx85_DSC3361.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 254
Neil,

Any further comments on the J5? The price is reduced at present in the UK

Mike

It's a good little camera Mike. I use it as my back up to my rx 100M4 normally. Lack of viewfinder makes it difficult to use out in bright light though but shooting from a hide on a tripod is fine. Best with the 18.5 mm lens but the 11 - 27.5 mm lens is good too. My rx 100M4 is not working at the moment so it may get more use. I'm not taking my digiscoping kit at the moment as I'm recovering from a sprained ankle and a back problem. I should be ok in a week or two.
Neil.

Thanks for the update, Neil. Hope you make a speedy recovery and soon get back to doing what you love. Tomorrow I go into hospital for an operation on my prostate. Such joy!

Mike

Thanks for the update, Neil. Hope you make a speedy recovery and soon get back to doing what you love. Tomorrow I go into hospital for an operation on my prostate. Such joy!

Mike

Good luck with that Mike. I have an eye issue that I have to get sorted next. It's just one thing after another over 60.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back