• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Sony RX 100M4 (1 Viewer)

Neil

I've had the Sony rx100M4 for a week now and am enjoying it a lot.
http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscrx100m4
I mainly bought it for the 4k video at 100 mbytes/sec,but it also has a new sensor, 16 fps, and 1,000 fps slow motion video.
The weather hasn't been the best here this week but here are a couple of videos from earlier in the week.
https://vimeo.com/133665299
https://vimeo.com/133323835
These were both 4k originals downsized to 1080p.
No vignetting from about 41 mm into the zoom range which is the same as the RX100M3.
Neil.

Sony RX 100M4 and Swarovski STX 85 mm scope and DCB 11 Adapter.

Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China.

Neil,

Any differences between GH4 and this on the 4k format?

It looks good Jason but I haven't tried all the manual settings with the rx100M4. I need to dial the Sharpening down a bit as I prefer to do it in FCP X. If the rain ever stops here I will get it out on the scope and give it a good work out. Maybe next week.
Neil.

lens movement

Hi Neil, thanks for posting this info.

The RX100 M1 had a slight movement of the lens when starting to zoom in and when shutting the camera off, this meant that you had to leave a gap between the eyepiece and the lens to prevent the glass clashing.

Does the RX100 M4 still have this initial small lens extension at zoom and when shutting the camera off.

Hope you understand my query and thanks in advance.

Will also be interesting to see what image grabs from 4k are like with the M4.

Hi Neil, thanks for posting this info.

The RX100 M1 had a slight movement of the lens when starting to zoom in and when shutting the camera off, this meant that you had to leave a gap between the eyepiece and the lens to prevent the glass clashing.

Does the RX100 M4 still have this initial small lens extension at zoom and when shutting the camera off.

Hope you understand my query and thanks in advance.

Will also be interesting to see what image grabs from 4k are like with the M4.

Jason,
The lens is the same in the M4 version so it behaves the same. You have to release it from the adapter before you switch it off or it will bump into the eyepiece.
Neil.

Wow, those are amazing! Haven't looked into digiscoping for a while but it's quite impressive what's possible. Congrats!

Got back to the Egretry with the RX100M4 on Monday in the late afternoon. Sitting on the ground in the shade for 3 hours was a bit of a struggle, especially when trying to get up, but I was out of any breeze that might have caused vibration.
I shot with the Nikon J5 as well, as the RX100M4 overheats when shooting 4k video continuously so I need to give it a break every 10 minutes or so.
Neil.
Sony RX100M4 and Swarovski STX85 mm scope and DCB11 adapter
Mai Po Nature Reserve,
Hong Kong,China.
3rd August 2015

Attachments

• digiscoping egrets night herons nesting MP iphone6 IMG_6171.jpg
    digiscoping egrets night herons nesting MP iphone6 IMG_6171.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 313
  • great egrets chicks feed MP HK rx100M4 stx85_DSC2607.jpg
    great egrets chicks feed MP HK rx100M4 stx85_DSC2607.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 536
  • great egrets chicks feed MP HK rx100M4 stx85_DSC2807.jpg
    great egrets chicks feed MP HK rx100M4 stx85_DSC2807.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 406
  • bc night herons MP HK rx100M4 stx85_DSC2551.jpg
    bc night herons MP HK rx100M4 stx85_DSC2551.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 269
  • great egrets chicks feed MP HK rx100M4 stx85_DSC2103.jpg
    great egrets chicks feed MP HK rx100M4 stx85_DSC2103.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 275
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back