• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (10 Viewers)

I like this, I agree with what Colleen says regarding the composition - the eye drops out of the picture, I like this effect, as it heightens the feeling of a snatched glimpse of something moving.

another rainy, rainy day- but the germ of a new project here with a couple of bullfinches on an ivy-covered fruit tree this morning, done really quickly as a wet underpainting on a biggish bit o canvas board

I know what the idea of the painting is this time, so that's a relief for us all (assuming it is a good idea)- the centre of interest should be the Bullfinches sitting up high, placid and settled almost with the same lumpy n lofty look as an old pair of WT Eagles sat up on a dead branch

bonus feature is a marsh harrier fanning his tail during a break in the rain- I had couple of hours free of errands and nipped up to Minsmere where (tribute to the crap weather) I was the only person in the hide on a Saturday afternoon

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_2383 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_2383 copy.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 63
  • q9 550 DSC_2390 copy 2.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_2390 copy 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 57
Love the field sketches Ed, as usual. And they look a whole lot better than the Sharp-shinned fanning his tail in our backyard yesterday. Even with my new Caran d'Ache clutch pencil they turned out dull as could be. I had stepped outside to look at the results of some pruning I'd done and heard some loud alarm calls. Then I saw the Sharpie not more than 12-15 feet away, constantly fanning his tail. A great opportunity wasted on my part. You've been extremely successful with a similar opportunity.

the bullfinches is full of promise - and as usual, this sketch is a proper piece of art in its own right. Harrier is superb - that bulky elegance is caught so well.

I love how well you've caught the marshie's jizz here, Ed. Lovely flowing lines and great sense of solidity. Bravo.

Russ

You've caught that long look of the harriers just right, super sketches indeed.

Looks like the bullfinches will be a resounding success too!

Mike

You've caught that long look of the harriers just right, super sketches indeed.

Looks like the bullfinches will be a resounding success too!

Mike

bullfinches are intended to be an exercise in restraint after the gunking up and sanding down of the Barn Owl- so plan is to preserve more of the underpainting this time around and not just trowel bright colours on top

currently I'm here with it

some more detail to go in and around the birds and maybe some teeny touches of more intense colours

+ need to get the brightest tones of the lit branches just a bit closer to that of the birds

Attachments

• q9 550 DSC_2393.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_2393.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 66
It's the way you tame that wonderful chaos that you create with the underpainting that makes what you do so special. And when you don't over tame it you produce your very best work and these bullfinches represent that perfectly.

Mike

Await the final results Ed. I'm always a sucker for dripping paint and bare canvas, as I think I see towards bottom, esp. bottom left. It would be nice to see some closeups of this eventually.

Await the final results Ed. I'm always a sucker for dripping paint and bare canvas, as I think I see towards bottom, esp. bottom left. It would be nice to see some closeups of this eventually.

hello there- you are right about some bare canvas and drippings: I'm beginning to think I am better suited to that than the thick stuff

overall pic very nearly done I think, with a deliberate effort to stop short and not bludge too much on: maybe not quite enough of the bullfinch colours in the branches, so the birds stick out a bit- black and white version works better in a way

Attachments

• q9 799 crop DSC_2396.jpg
    q9 799 crop DSC_2396.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 51
  • q11 q9 599 DSC_2397 copy.jpg
    q11 q9 599 DSC_2397 copy.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 72
  • q9 650 bw DSC_2397 copy.jpg
    q9 650 bw DSC_2397 copy.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back