• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Our wives have hooters (1 Viewer)

samuel walker

It's OK to be a little blue........
A twitching friend of mine has become obsessed with seeing a local Horned owl. My wife caught him last week. He is very location faithful almost to a single perch. Mike and his wife,my wife the Owler and I returned today with scope on a 60 degree Partly sunny Ohio day and found the male . The Owler walked 15 feet up the path and found the female. I won't have to hear about finding this bird anymore. I'm trying to get my wife retuned to find the Barred owl I hear in our nearby woods.I'm sure the four of us will return to watch this pair before leaf-out in the Spring.
Good sightings,
Sam

You've reminded of a wonderful day I spent in some remnants of rain forest quite near to New Orleans. We didn't see too many birds but one of them was a gorgeous barred owl. I well remember the elderly American couple I met in the bird hide, too - wonderfully kind folk whose family had originally emigrated from Poland.

Ahhhhh, a GHO! I've only seen ONE in the wild and would love to see more!!

Hope you have enjoyed your warm temps, Sam, because it's OVER!! Was 57 at 8 p.m. on Friday night, and I've gotten up to falling temps, an inch of snow on the ground, and winter storm warnings of heavy snow and heavy ICE! Ick! And it's probably headed your way.

What a relief Sam,I was almost afraid to check out this thread. For a split second,I thought you were talking about something else entirely;)))

I hear Owls a short distance away from home, but can't see them. Lucky you folks!

Nice pair of hooters?.....was'nt that a line from Dumb and Dumber????
Anyway to add more fuel to the Wind Farm debate....
I saw my 1st Barn Owl of the year this morning. It was nonchalently swooping around a wind turbine at Ramsey!
It could not give a hoot!!!
Dave.

we don't call it a rain forest

I've never heard it called a rain forest in this area before -- it's too wet for that, we just call it a swamp!

The Barred Owl is a personal favorite that I always enjoy seeing or more often hearing.

scampo said:
You've reminded of a wonderful day I spent in some remnants of rain forest quite near to New Orleans. We didn't see too many birds but one of them was a gorgeous barred owl. I well remember the elderly American couple I met in the bird hide, too - wonderfully kind folk whose family had originally emigrated from Poland.

Twitcher

samuel walker said:
A twitching friend of mine has become obsessed with seeing a local Horned owl. My wife caught him last week. He is very location faithful almost to a single perch. Mike and his wife,my wife the Owler and I returned today with scope on a 60 degree Partly sunny Ohio day and found the male . The Owler walked 15 feet up the path and found the female. I won't have to hear about finding this bird anymore. I'm trying to get my wife retuned to find the Barred owl I hear in our nearby woods.I'm sure the four of us will return to watch this pair before leaf-out in the Spring.
Good sightings,
Sam

So...I'm a twitcher? I guess you didn't think i would have time to look at this forum again.

Michael

peachfront said:
I've never heard it called a rain forest in this area before -- it's too wet for that, we just call it a swamp!

The Barred Owl is a personal favorite that I always enjoy seeing or more often hearing.
Sorry I didn't get back... it was called a "remnant of rain forest" in the blurb I had back then. Whatever - it was pretty amazing in its obvious antiquity and was burgeoning with animal life. I was rather sad that only remnants remain - but that's the way things are today.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back