• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chaffinch feet disease (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
Saw this female Chaffinch at Abbotsbury, Dorset, yesterday, Also saw a male with the same swollen feet. Does anyone know what this problem is? Is it life threatening?
would appreciate any thoughts
thanks
alan

Attachments

• DSC_0038.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 130
I think it's called knemidophytic mange and it is indeed grim. I've seen Chaffinches with no feet as a result. There are several threads on here with other details.

Hi Alan,

Full info can be found here: http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/gbw/gardens-wildlife/garden-birds/disease/warts

As you can see in Chaffinches it is more commonly the papillomavirus rather than mites. As far as I know and from info on the web it's not fatal, though can cause some discomfort and difficulty feeding. Though we have a lot of Chaffinches here, during ringing sessions they are very rarely able to ring the Chaffinches due to the huge number that are affected.

Thankyou John and thankyou Joe for the link, Glad to hear its not necessarily fatal, it was pretty cold at Abbotsbury nd she looked like she was wearing thermal socks!
Its a shame that there doesn't seem to be an easy and effective treatment for any captured birds - she looked in pretty good shape otherwise so perhaps it will end ok.
thats life I suppose
thanks again
alan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back