• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

Who will record the first swallow of the year I wonder?

Not a bad start to the day....at 10.45am (cup of tea in hand). In bright sunlight Tawny Owl swept slightly beneath me, over the hedge and into the "roost" conifer 15' away, with a Magpie almost stuck on it's tail! Then later, two Legrets over the backwood, followed by a Buzzard on very "compacted" wings, not surprising when you consider the wind speed. At 5.20pm I looked up momentarily from my camera LCD screen (deletion editing), heading North over the canopy my earliest ever home grown Swallow, my previous earliest being the 2nd, and the mean average being late April...."sod" the chocolate bar...something stronger methinks. No.57. :-O

Not a bad start to the day....at 10.45am (cup of tea in hand). In bright sunlight Tawny Owl swept slightly beneath me, over the hedge and into the "roost" conifer 15' away, with a Magpie almost stuck on it's tail! Then later, two Legrets over the backwood, followed by a Buzzard on very "compacted" wings, not surprising when you consider the wind speed. At 5.20pm I looked up momentarily from my camera LCD screen (deletion editing), heading North over the canopy my earliest ever home grown Swallow, my previous earliest being the 2nd, and the mean average being late April...."sod" the chocolate bar...something stronger methinks. No.57. :-O
Yaay!!! Well done Ken...the first swallow !! ...yes I know it is April fools day... but I am a trusting wee soul...hope you enjoyed your tipple / wee dram?? what did you plump for???...as for me -...sure was AFD...first went in search of ringed neck duck ..couldn't find, others had; then black redstart, ditto, no cigar; then our holiday apartment manager in Portugal e-mailed me today, to say water cut off at one of our apartments for no reason and meter removed!!!.... roll on April 2nd...very unhappy lady here :(

:28 Dunnock - yesterday.
Also yesterday a pair of green woodpeckers in the garden together ( more often than not is the male only, very rare to see them together...)

But from hero yesterday to zero today... as above : sure was AFD for me today...first went in search of ringed neck duck ..couldn't find, others had; then black redstart, ditto, no cigar; then our holiday apartment manager in Portugal e-mailed me today, to say water cut off at one of our apartments for no reason and meter removed!!!.... roll on April 2nd...very unhappy lady here :(
:C:C:C

:28 Dunnock - yesterday.
Also yesterday a pair of green woodpeckers in the garden together ( more often than not is the male only, very rare to see them together...)

But from hero yesterday to zero today... as above : sure was AFD for me today...first went in search of ringed neck duck ..couldn't find, others had; then black redstart, ditto, no cigar; then our holiday apartment manager in Portugal e-mailed me today, to say water cut off at one of our apartments for no reason and meter removed!!!.... roll on April 2nd...very unhappy lady here :(
:C:C:C

Tomorrow is another day!....who knows, Eric and Ernie spring to mind..."Bring me sunshine...Bring me rain...Bring me laughter...bring me pain...la-da-da-da-da-da-da...or something like that. ;)

It won't last much longer, but!..Just like London buses (arriving in two's, and there were a pair) flyover Tufted Ducks at 7.45 am, No.58.

More migrants arriving today, including both House and Tree Sparrow (both local migrants at this plot), as well as Black Redstart, a few Bean Geese amongst the flocks of White-fronted Geese going over and, a species I managed to miss last last, one Common Gull. Cranes singing on the meadows.

49. Mute Swan
50. Bean Goose
51. Goldeneye
52. Common Snipe
53. Common Gull
54. Wood Pigeon
55. Meadow Pipit
56. White Wagtail
57. Wren
58. Black Redstart
59. House Sparrow
60. Tree Sparrow

Last edited:
Turned cold however, a northerly wind keeping temperatures little above zero and threatening snow/sleet over the next days, so overall migrant influx is muted, just dribs and drabs so far.

It rained last night, grass and trees are greening up. Ten species of birds in the yard this morning.
American Robin
Dark-eyed Junco (they will be going back to Canada about the 15th of this month)
Black-capped Chickadee
House Sparrow
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
European Starling
Common Grackle
House Finch
Northern Cardinal

I am still waiting for the White-breasted Nuthatch, Tufted Titmouse and a few others to put in an appearance!

It rained last night, grass and trees are greening up. Ten species of birds in the yard this morning.
American Robin
Dark-eyed Junco (they will be going back to Canada about the 15th of this month)
Black-capped Chickadee
House Sparrow
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
European Starling
Common Grackle
House Finch
Northern Cardinal

I am still waiting for the White-breasted Nuthatch, Tufted Titmouse and a few others to put in an appearance!

Hi Larry you been lucky seeing all of those today.
Nine of the birds you mentioned above I've never heard of or rather hadnt until today!

Turned cold however, a northerly wind keeping temperatures little above zero and threatening snow/sleet over the next days, so overall migrant influx is muted, just dribs and drabs so far.

I wouldn't mind some dribs and drabs like that! !

A lovely warm day today in contrast to the sleet and gales of the last few days (shed blown over again!) .

But despite this not a single spring migrant here.

As I write two

Lesser Redpolls

flew past!

There were eleven species in my above list (not ten).

Two more species flew in after I posted the above:
# 12. Tufted Titmouse
# 13. Hairy Woodpecker (female)

33. Killdeer
34. Herring Gull
35. Brown-headed Cowbird
36. Snow Goose
37. Red-shouldered Hawk
38. Rusty Blackbird
39. Mallard
40. Common Merganser
41. Northern Harrier
42. Song Sparrow
43. Merlin

With a really good passage of Meadow Pipits and Pied Wags over the garden today it felt like it was inevitable:
46. Swallow
Two passed over this afternoon. I should really be revising for my A-levels but checking the garden for Spring migrants feels much more important!

Last edited:
With a really good passage of Meadow Pipits and Pied Wags over the garden today it felt like it was inevitable:
46. Swallow
Two passed over this afternoon. I should really be revising for my A-levels but checking the garden for Spring migrants feels much more important!

Could do with your Mipit and Pied Wagtail Tim, had both on the field behind my backwood earlier last month, unfortunately can't see the field from the house. :-C

Hi all, first time here since 2008 i guess, lol.

Dunno if anyone from back then is still around, but i'm from southern New York, USA.
So far my yard list is pretty small:
01. Mourning dove
02. Red-bellied woodpecker
03. Downy Woodpecker
04. American crow
05. Black-capped tit (oops, i mean "chickadee")
06. Tufted titmouse
07. White-breasted nuthatch
08. Carolina Wren
09. Eastern Bluebird (last seen 17 March 2015)
10. American robin
11. European starling
12. American Tree sparrow
13. Song Sparrow
14. White-throated sparrow
15. Dark-eyed junco
16. Northern cardinal
17. Common grackle
18. Red-winged blackbird
19. House finch
20. Pine siskin
21. American goldfinch
22. European goldfinch sighted earlier this morning!!!

Welcome back Gthang (how do you prononce that I wonder?)

Could do with your Mipit and Pied Wagtail Tim, had both on the field behind my backwood earlier last month, unfortunately can't see the field from the house. :-C

I know how you feel Ken, it's been a frustrating week or so, seeing potential new ones for the year's Garden List just a few hundred yards away in the fields, plus the cold northerly wind with snow on and off. Still, today dawned calm and a bit milder, so ideal for some heavy garden duty and occasional sky scanning (or should that be the other way round?;)). In fact, even before dawn I'd heard Tawny Owl, and by lunchtime I'd ended up adding FIVE new species!
54 Tawny Owl
55 Jay
56 Water Pipit
57 Yellowhammer
58 Barn Swallow

I don't know how the Jays avoided being seen up till now, the Yellowhammer arrived nearby about 10 days ago, Water Pipits are quite a bit later than average, and the Swallow is my second-earliest here. There are Ring Ousels about, but I haven't managed to be in the house/garden at the right moment, maybe tomorrow....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back