• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A pleasant twist to the end (Haddiscoe New Cut, Norfolk) (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Friday 16 Jan

Having read something somewhere which sparked my interest and with the weather being fairly reasonable I decided to go down to Haddiscoe in the hope of a Peregrine (something I've never seen) on the electricity pylons which stretch across the marshes.

So after cycling the 7 mile or so I got there only to find the public footpath closed and the walk along the New Cut turned into a building site with cranes, hardhat area signs & wire fencing blocking the way it dawned on me that it wasn't a very good start.

Nothing for it but to turn back, and via the quiet roads & villages of Herringfleet & Somerleyton I took a breather at Smock Mill which is a fairly typical broadland scene of a windmill against a wide expanse of marshes. After about 15 minutes of seagulls and crows it was time to give up and go home. One last look across the marshes and .... Oh !! ..... thats not bad ... 6 Whooper Swans came flying up the river right in front, could even hear the whooping sounds carrying across the mashes as they flew by. Suddenly the day seemed so much better, not a Peregrine but a lifer nonetheless, just as good if not better as it was totally unexpected.

On my way back I soon added
Lapwing, Egyptian Geese, a Wren, couple of Redwing, Longtailed & Blue Tits and a Song(??) Thrush.

It's gutting when you go to all that effort only to find the site isn't there any more or you can't get to it? Been there, done that.

Glad that you got a new lifer to brighten up the day. Aren't Whoopers great? Somehow the yellow-billed swans just reek of wild places in a way that our Mutes don't.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back