• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird safari in Western Kenya (1 Viewer)

mike davidson

Karen Plumbe, Brian Finch, Nigel Hunter , Joseph Kariuki [Nature's Wonderland Safaris] and myself had an 8 day safari through Western Kenya .
Given that 2 days were travelling to and from , it is amazing that we recorded 320 species in 6 days !
Days 2/3 were around Kitale, Kapenguria , and Kongelai escarpement .
Then we moved across to Mt Elgon on the Kenya /Uganda border .
2 days followed around Busia and finally we were in Kisumu on the shores of Lake Victoria .
Obviously 320 are too many to mention.

Major highlights were Eurasian Sparrowhawk ,Eurasian Wryneck,and Western Violet-backed Sunbird around Kitale etc. Doherty's Bushshrike [ fantastic colours !] and Moorland Francolin on Elgon [plus a rare Duiker - Black -fronted ],Rock Pratincole,Abyssinian Ground Hornbill ,Woodchat Shrike around Busia , and Black-headed Gonolek ,Red-chested Sunbird [also fantastic] and many more .

A great trip with great birders

Mike D in Nairobi

Mike, Are you still available on this forum because I need to talk with you about Kenya visit. I am more concerned about the agents like I visited many places with Gane and Marshall and with some other agents. But the things which are have described here , I want to see all these and how can I find all these things through only one agent. Kindly reply. thanks.

Mike, Are you still available on this forum because I need to talk with you about Kenya visit. I am more concerned about the agents like I visited many places with Gane and Marshall and with some other agents. But the things which are have described here , I want to see all these and how can I find all these things through only one agent. Kindly reply. thanks.

Your best bet is to contact Ben Mugambi (see: http://www.bensecologicalsafaris.com/about.html ). Ben can arrange accommodation, transport and the services of competent driver/bird guides. He also uses local guides at places such as Kakamega, Baringo and Arabuko-Sokoke forest - these guys know where the difficult stuff is to be found.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back