• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Watching White-tailed Sea Eagles on Mull (1 Viewer)

Paul Brooks

Hi,
I'll be on Mull for a couple of days at the end of this month and I wondered if anyone had any tips for seeing White-tails there? I know it's not the prime Western Isle for them but if anyone has any tips for where to head for I'd be grateful. I could probably live without hooking up with some sort of "eagle spotting tour" to be honest. I'd rather head out and find one myself if possible.

Cheers in advance.

Loch Na Keal is as good a place as any PK. Also, check out out some of the trip reports on here - always a good source of info.

Although I didn't see one near Loch Buie I was told that was also a good location.

Have a great trip,

Rich

Cannot speak highly enough of the trips organised by Mull Charters. http://www.mullcharters.com/index.html you should seriously think about giving them a go. Have a look at the video in their gallery.

We went in August and had fantastic views of WhiteTails and Golden Eagles (who the White Tails saw off).

See one of the pics I took here http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=425708

I've no connection with them but will be heading back there for another go sometime soon.

Last edited:
I'll check out Loch Na Keal then. Is that a breeding site? If so, I guess the juvs hang about before dispersal. It will be the end of this month (oct) when I'm there.

Not sure about a breeding site PK but we've always been lucky there. Also good for divers, Otters etc.

Off topic slightly but I'd also recommend Cafe Fish in Tobemory if you're looking for somewhere decent to eat.

Rich

Hi,
Just a wee update to chip in for anyone who might have the same question as I did. On day one I didn't have any luck with White-tailed in any of the recommended spots but we did score a nice immature Golden Eagle over the water at the eastern half of Loch Na Keal. I'd picked up a tip to try Grasspoint which is down to the south east of the island and got excellent views of an adult White-tailed there.
Cheers for the help chaps. An excellent trip all round by the way :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back