• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2015 (1 Viewer)

Nice showing of some woodpeckers this morning with some of the regulars:

Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker

White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
European Starling
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

It's been dry and cloudy here today, no sunshine, and about 10 degrees, but chilling down rapidly now.... so with the lovely blackbird pair I forget to mention as my fourth siting today and the male kestrel using our chimney pots ( which date back to 1850) , as a perch from which to hunt, within the last hour,...that takes my first day's tally to 13, from my sporadic looking out of our home office window...the latter is by far more pleasurable than working!! :t::t:

Well done on the Pied H!....My default Wagtail here is Grey, probably seen every other day flying past the house to the stream behind,

Yes, Grey Wagtail is more regular in Winter here (even had a pair prospecting the neighbour's roof the other day! - stream/river is another 100mtrs beyond) , but Pied is daily all summer.

Nice commute this evening before dusk -with Curlews, Lapwing & Snipe all back on the moors. Oystercatchers by the reservoirs. Just need some to fly past my house.

Don't worry, Ken, you'll see a Pied before long.

Last edited:
Yes, Grey Wagtail is more regular in Winter here (even had a pair prospecting the neighbour's roof the other day! - stream/river is another 100mtrs beyond) , but Pied is daily all summer.

Nice commute this evening before dusk -with Curlews, Lapwing & Snipe all back on the moors. Oystercatchers by the reservoirs. Just need some to fly past my house.

Don't worry, Ken, you'll see a Pied before long.

Hi H

Nice little list of species that you have going on there :t:

Love Pied Wagtails - they are becoming more like park, and garden birds these days.

They always seem to be sitting on roofs, or using grass areas to move about in ones and twos close to people.

Regards
Kathy
x

Sitting in bed tea in hand at 7.35 am, wistfully gazing into the grey gloom of the forest beyond, when a pronounced upward bounding bird landed in the trees opposite, which were obscured by my end of garden Ash Tree. Lesser spot I cried!(string-ingly), leapt out of bed bins in hand, raced into the adjoining small bedroom, raised the bins Chaffinch on end of said tree twitching it's tail (as they do), scanned left, then espied the unmistakeable hunched body bulk of no.54...Hawfinch!...my most revered Woodland bird..I couldn't ask for more.

Brilliant spot Ken - i have never seem a Hawfinch and I am holding on to the seat of my pants to see one LOL o:)

Regards
Kathy
x

This morning's birds at our backyard feeders:
House Finch
Dark-eyed Junco
American Goldfinch
American Robin
House Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
European Starling
Common Grackle
White-breasted Nuthatch
Red-bellied Woodpecker

At the migration watchpoint near Evian (about 40 miles from here I suppose) they had a Spotted Eagle and a male Hen Harrier through yesterday, so when I glanced out of the window earlier (while cooking the Memsahib's meal-good for Brownie points:t:) and saw a pale 'raptor' with dark wingtips circling above the house, the latter species was my first thought, I usually see a couple of HH each year here, (though not in 2014). On grabbing the camera and (eventually) focussing properly it showed itself to be something much rarer (a description species for Rhône-Alpes Region in fact) - a Short-eared Owl (see pic I managed)! Following the first Black Kite this morning I can add two for the year - the owl also being a Garden tick (number 114).

47 Black Kite
48 Short-eared Owl

Richard

Attachments

• H des marais Orange 18.3.15.jpg
    H des marais Orange 18.3.15.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 40
Sunnier here today, but not at my office desk, out with a girlfriend for lunch, so only a sort stint of looking out the home office window... 2 more easy ones:
14 Great Tit
15 Starling

Cheers Richard and Kathy....hopefully (Kathy) will connect one day....they are pretty special. :t:
very well done on the hawfinch , Ken... I don't think I will ever see THAT as a garden bird, here ...but here's hoping.. very pleased for you ...my hubbie and I are going on a guided Brecks tour this coming Sunday, so are hoping to see some then...recent reports suggest that we stand a good chance.. will keep you posted :gh::gh:

SEO is a possibility for me - seeing as they breed a couple of miles from my house. Superb record, Richard.

As for Hawfinch, Ken, I think the nearest record to my house is about 50 miles. Extremely remote. Probably as much chance as Black Kite!

Nothing new for Falmouth of late, various bits up at the field (including a nice Green Woodpecker), but not really been keeping track up there to be honest.

Headed off to The Parents in France tomorrow for a week - so will of course be able to update from that corner of France on this thread in due course (and hope for some garden ticks, who knows?!). Temporarily joining the French Garden Listing posse/league ;)

These were both on the roof outside the bedroom window the other day (Falmouth) -

Attachments

• 100_6544-crop.jpg
    100_6544-crop.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_6554.JPG
    100_6554.JPG
    405.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Good morning, Dan

Enjoy your time in France.. Hopefully the posse won't bite ;);)

Look forward to reading about what you see over there,

Best wishes, Carol :gh::gh:

ps being a relative newbie to birding , I am still getting to grips with identification ( please bear with me folks..) , so please could you clarify what is in your pics, thank you :)

Nothing new for Falmouth of late, various bits up at the field (including a nice Green Woodpecker), but not really been keeping track up there to be honest.

Headed off to The Parents in France tomorrow for a week - so will of course be able to update from that corner of France on this thread in due course (and hope for some garden ticks, who knows?!). Temporarily joining the French Garden Listing posse/league ;)

These were both on the roof outside the bedroom window the other day (Falmouth) -

Last edited:
Been a little lazy updating over the last month or so ...but given it was winter, there wasn't so much to update - think the main couple of additions were Crested Tit and Hazel Grouse, both seeming to now reside right at the edge of my plot. Interesting numbers at the feeders this winter - while the total number of Great Tits using the feeders (169 birds) was only 25% down on usual winters, the number of Blue Tits (70 birds) was a massive 75% higher than usual!

Anyhow, the year total prior to today was:

1. Hazel Grouse
2. Sparrowhawk
3. Grey-headed Woodpecker
4. Black Woodpecker
5. White-backed Woodpecker
6. Great Spotted Woodpecker
7. Middle Spotted Woodpecker
8. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker
9. Waxwing
10. Fieldfare
11. Long-tailed Tit
12. Marsh Tit
13. Willow Tit
14. Crested Tit
15. Coal Tit
16. Blue Tit
17. Great Tit
18. Nuthatch
19. Treecreeper
20. Great Grey Shrike
21. Jay
22. Magpie
23. Hooded Crow
24. Raven
25. Goldfinnch
26. Siskin
27. Bullfinch
28. Greenfinch
29. Yellowhammer

But today (after a while out of the country) the first real signs of the spring - two pairs of Cranes in the meadows, Grey Herons at the colony, geese going over, woodpeckers drumming everywhere, ducks on pools ... unfrozen (main pool still frozen)

30. White-fronted Goose
31. Teal
32. Mallard
33. Grey Heron
34. Common Crane
35. Skylark
36. Rook

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back