• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Horned Owl drawing (1 Viewer)

Update

Thanks to all for looking and who commented. My eye is healing nicely and is about 75% clear. There is still a transparent floater that I have to work around but my depth perception is up and running. I hope to spend quite a few hours at the drawning table and easel today. Birds with antlers? Well the name of this thread is Great Horned Owl! Thanks for looking. John

Attachments

• GF1.jpg
    GF1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 62
  • RF1.jpg
    RF1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 54
  • SG1.jpg
    SG1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 77
Rocky Mountain Way

I finished something! I hasn't happen very often lately, so it seems like a big deal to me. My last post has some things I did when I was a youngster. I messed up when I posted it, and did not mention that. Thought it would be fun to post some things that seem like lost memories to me. I've been enjoying the new works posted here, it is always fun to check out whats new. Thanks for looking. John

Attachments

• E4.jpg
    E4.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 76
Hi John, Rocky Mountain Way is a beautiful artwork as are your others. The Elk's eye seems to look right through you. I love it. I hope your eye is coming around.

Masterpiece! It's such a great joy going through your works from the beginning of this thread. It's also interesting to see how much you have improved from the time when you were young.

Thank you Steve and Ayuwat for your comments! My eye is usable but not fully cleared up. Time will tell on how it ends up. The Baikal teal is one duck I would love to see in the wild. I like the the pair you posted on your blog Ayuwat. Nice work. Thanks again for looking. John

New efforts

Greetings! Here are some new paintings. The Wood Duck is done, but I may do another version of it with Maple leaves hanging over the bank. The second one is from a Francis Lee Jaques scratchboard ink drawing and in progress. If he ever did an oil painting of it I have not been able to find a photo of it. It is one of my favorites of his. The third is in progress also. Thanks for looking. John

Attachments

• WD%201.jpg
    WD%201.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 99
  • CA1.jpg
    CA1.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 83
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 82
I just found this thread, and had to say what lovely works of art there was too see in it!! Keep them coming please!

Jenny, John, Oivind, and Mike, thanks so much for the kind words. I have mixed emotions after I finish a painting, always the thoughts that it could be better. If I may say, you may want to check out a great Wood Duck painting by F.L. Jaques. Try and get a copy of Francis Lee Jaques "Artist of the Wilderness World" (Doubleday), page 183. If you have not seen his work your in for a treat.

John, I don't know how I could have missed your posts until now. I've checked them all out and, without exception, they are all absolutely wonderful. Your color palette is captivating, your draftsmanship is outstanding, and your subjects exhibit such life and movement. It would be my life's ambition to achieve works as beautiful as you've done. Much like you, I'm always pleased but never satisfied with my work, and that's what keeps me striving for better results. Keep up the great work. Thanks again for posting. tbbilbo.

Older work

Thanks tbbilbo for your comments, I am glad you like the works. I have not painted much this summer except for some fiqure paintings. I traveled last weekend and visited a friend that has a old painting of mine. I did not have a digital photograph of it, now I do. I really believe that working with fiqures has helped me become a better painter of nature. I allows me to push the colors I use in a way that was difficult for me to learn with the bird and mammal paintings. Hope you enjoy the Goldeneyes, they are alittle stiff but that where I was when I did them. Thanks to all for looking.

John

Attachments

• G1.jpg
    G1.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 102
  • B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 93
WIP The Ballerina

In the summer I have the pleasure of watching the fawns run and dance in the yard. There are wooded islands with mowed areas and trails for them to race around. It was delightful to see a bow after a wonderful performance.

John

Attachments

• WIP%20F1.jpg
    WIP%20F1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 95
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back