• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Coolpix 3100 (1 Viewer)

I am considering buying a Nikon Coolpix camera which I would like to use with my Optolyth TBS80 Scope.
Is it possible to use the Coolpix 3100 ? Has anybody used this camera for digiscoping ?

Thanks

I am using the Nikon 3100 and a Home made apadter onto my opticrom ES80 scope, the 3100 has a moving lens and no lens thread.
I have taken a number of test photo's with varying results, but now I have designed a bracket to hold the camera securley to my adapter and results are promising, now to test it in the field...

That Olympus camera must have caught a lot of birders attention. A 10x zoom means it has versatility beyond just digiscoping.
Could Bob comment about this please. Steve.

I bought the Olympus C750 on the recommendation of friends who are birders and also having read reviews on the forum. It is a very user friendly camera and the zoom gives it flexibilty for everyday use as well as birding. I am new to digital photography and at the moment mostly using the automatic settings which give good results.
There is a very good picture taken by forum member Helenol which shows what can be achieved in your own back garden http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=9318

I just got the Nikon Coolpix 2100 camera as an early Christmas gift. I haven't tried it out yet. I'll have to try it out this weekend. It's not anything fancy, and I am not much of a photographer, but hopefully I can get some decent shots of birds.

Juyzt said:
I just got the Nikon Coolpix 2100 camera as an early Christmas gift. I haven't tried it out yet. I'll have to try it out this weekend. It's not anything fancy, and I am not much of a photographer, but hopefully I can get some decent shots of birds.

How did it go?

My first attempts at digiscoping were with CP3100 hand held with Kowa TSN821. The following attachment was one of my first attempts. Now use CP4500 & Swarovski ATS80 with adaptor with makes things a lot simpler.

Tom

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 218
I've just sent up a post asking if anyone knew of a suitable adapter for the 2100. What are you using?

Kevin

Juyzt said:
I've just sent up a post elsewhere asking if anyone knew a suitable adapter to use with the 2100. What are you using?

Kevin

I have the 4300 and my wife has the 2100. Both take excelent images - the 4300 has some manual control which should make it a better option for digiscoping. I haven't got round to making an adaptor and I would find it very hard to bring myself to pay for one. Speaking to someone in a optical repair shop and they told me that they had enquired of someone who has a metal working shop the cost of making a decent adaptor and it was suggested that a reasonable aluminium sleeve could probably be made for not much more than £5 !!!!!

You can get some very good results by hand holding - but, of course, they'll never compare with images acheived by someone with a top of the range camera and all the add-ons (eg, cable release etc) - everything else being equal.

However, I have noticed recently that the price of these cameras has tumbled so you might be well advised to look at one of the better specified Nikons as they might be in your price range now - eg, the 4500 or 5700.

regards

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back