• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park 15/01/03 (1 Viewer)

IanF

I had a walk over to the feeding station at the park today, hoping for a few decent photos but it was a bit too dull and windy. The sightings were still petty good and unexpected as regards my first sightings there of a Goldcrest which came within three feet of me and a pair of Bramblings, for neither of whcih I could get a photo - try though I did !
Another first was a Weasel which spent over an hour trailing round and round the site hunting small mammals or in this case birds, as it kept climbing into the bushes and trees chasing the birds all of which were too fast for it.

Birds seen

Goldcrest
Brambling
Yellowhammer x8
Wren
Great Spotted Woodpecker - female
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Blackbird
Greeenfinch
Goldfinch
Tree Sparrow c.20
Chaffinch
Robin
Crow

Thats not a bad list for a feeding station John.

Sometimes it's the birdies turn to come to you. Hey! Why should we do all the work? I'm blooming determined to get te bords to come to my garden when I get up there.

Tree sparrows, well Andrew, I got to see them after all at Rutland on my return visit. (Sprawk didn't interfere that time) I have also been introduced to another colony near Cley. Bramblings always used to be fairly common at Wicken Fen and though they have been reported this year, I haven't seen one yet. (But I did get the Waxwings on Sunday)

Personally, and I see it at the top of the list Ian, the Goldcrest would definately be my bitd of the day too.

Cheers,

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back