• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (4 Viewers)

Bourn Brook...

No Redstart yesterday afternoon ...

Greenfinch
Goldfinch
Blackcap
LLTit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Heron
Grey Wagtail
Kingfisher flew below me when on concrete slab but couldnt find him downstream.

Attachments

• Canon 2017 APRIL 23 006 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 APRIL 23 006 A.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Canon 2017 APRIL 23 006 A fdgh.jpg
    Canon 2017 APRIL 23 006 A fdgh.jpg
    568.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Canon 2017 APRIL 23 046 S_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 APRIL 23 046 S_filtered.jpg
    922 KB · Views: 45
  • Canon 2017 APRIL 23 095 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 APRIL 23 095 A.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20170423_175935_fhdr  A.jpg
    20170423_175935_fhdr A.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
This place will be totally covered in Lupins in a bit.....

Attachments

• Canon 2017 APRIL 23 017 a_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 APRIL 23 017 a_filtered.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Canon 2017 APRIL 23 109 A_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2017 APRIL 23 109 A_filtered.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Canon 2017 APRIL 23 023 a.jpg
    Canon 2017 APRIL 23 023 a.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Canon 2017 APRIL 23 026 a.jpg
    Canon 2017 APRIL 23 026 a.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 35
This place will be totally covered in Lupins in a bit.....

Pity the redstart didn't hang around.
Across the road were their going to start building was covered in Lupins and also had linnets and whitethroat.
Cracking photo of the orange tip keith.

The first time for a couple weeks, a Kingfisher on the River Rea by the nest. Great!
(In my back garden I got two Dunnock chicks already on the lawn being fed by the parents. It seems very early but great!)

Last edited:
Early this morning the two Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook walkway were flying up and down calling. One stopped near me and the other flew past. (Three Dunnock chicks in my back garden now). Great!

On my Bourn Brook walkway run this afternoon; three pairs of Bullfinch, a couple pairs of Grey Wagtails and finally the Kingfisher calling and there it was on a high perch. Great!
(Back garden four Dunnock fledglings now. Great!)

As well as the Trittiford Kingfishers this morning another on the River Rea, Selly Park. Heard it calling then saw it fly along the River. Great!

Early morning visit to the Bourn Brook walkway plenty of songbirds singing or feeding. Two pairs of Bullfinch. I heard the Kingfisher calling a few times As it went up and down the brook. It headed off in the direction of Woodgate Valley, up the brook. Which was a surprise. Great!

Early morning a couple Kingfisher on the River Rea doing the two tone call.
Then a very brief call from one on the River Cole, Trittiford as it went past. Not worked out yet where they are nesting. Also a Heron, Little Egret and a Nuthatch in the exact same spot as last week. I think the GCG pair have one chick on the back of the mother. it was fed a feather.
Then this afternoon the usual one on the Bourn Brook who I think was taking a rest, higher than usual in a tree, not over the brook. Found some more fish in another spot. Great!

Last edited:
Early morning Kingfisher again on the River Rea doing the two tone call.
Then on the River Cole, I was pleased to find the Kingfisher nest (on twitter there was a photo today of a Kingfisher at Trittiford).
Then the regular Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook. Great!
(last weekend there were Swifts for the first time this year over the Bourn Brook and they were present again yesterday. It was good to hear them overhead)

Early this morning a Kingfisher flew up to the canal from the Bourn Brook. After the overnight rain I wonder if it was looking for clearer water? Anyway great!

I was up and out for the dawn chorus at 5.00. After the rain I couldn't find any Kingfisher so I ran along the Cole, Rea and Bourn Brook and surprised Heron on them all. I might have heard a Kingfisher. There were Swifts & Bullfinch over the Rea. I later checked out the Bourn Brook again and this time I found the Kingfisher. A good number of minnow are now in the brook. The Kingfisher cut the bend on the brook and went straight past me calling. Great!

Last edited:
River ARROW.....behind Alvechurch Fisheries....just had a magic 10 mins with a BABY King....sat waiting for an hour wondering if any Kings were using this stretch. It flew in low and slow about 5 foot from me and used a perch I have had in for about 3 years....it got "attacked" by a large fly and moved to a perch further away....but returned shortly after.....you can only get away with shooting in the open like this with a new youngster......great that they have bred on here again.
Pics to follow.

Last edited:
Also loads of Brimstone Butterflies and a few Damsels.

Attachments

• KING 1.jpg
    KING 1.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 47
  • KING 2.jpg
    KING 2.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DAMSEL.jpg
    DAMSEL.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 29
  • BRIM 1.jpg
    BRIM 1.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 35
  • BRIM 2.jpg
    BRIM 2.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Also loads of Brimstone Butterflies and a few Damsels.

Wow Keith, great photo's!
How many years have you now seen young on that patch?
Is that the infamous hide? Lol! (Don't start ouzel68 Lol!)
I've not seen any other reports of fledglings yet.
Although I just been chasing after some KF in Essex, they were all over the place and making strange calls.
This one is still sitting on the eggs;
http://www.natuurkanaal.nl/
check the IJsvogelnest link.
What else can I say but great!

River ARROW.....behind Alvechurch Fisheries....just had a magic 10 mins with a BABY King....sat waiting for an hour wondering if any Kings were using this stretch. It flew in low and slow about 5 foot from me and used a perch I have had in for about 3 years....it got "attacked" by a large fly and moved to a perch further away....but returned shortly after.....you can only get away with shooting in the open like this with a new youngster......great that they have bred on here again.
Pics to follow.

Hi Keith, your young King is early!
Rye Meads reported on the 29th April, the kingfishers have started to incubate their first brood and estimate hatching between the 6th and 8th May.
Great!

My back garden news lol!
28th April - Dunnock fledglings
23rd May - Blue Tit fledglings.
It's great also cus I helped to feed them.
The Blackbird pair had to move out of our garden due to Magpies attacking the nest but they are now 2 gardens down. They still come for a feed.
Then the Great Tit pair are two gardens down and also on my feeder.
Great!

Hi Jason.....yes it is early. ...seen young here past 5 years
The home made hide went a few years ago....vandalised....this was me sitting on a tree root almost out in the open....adults always know I'm there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back