• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jaeger ID - Straits of Singapore (1 Viewer)

SeeToh

Opus Editor
Shot this Jaeger at the Straits of Singapore today (4 Nov 2017).

Am I right to say that it's a Parasitic Jaeger?

Is it an adult in non-breeding plumage? If not, are we able to age this bird?

Attachments

• 26387448849_d4cf4b69f3_z.jpg
    26387448849_d4cf4b69f3_z.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 38132352212_0497407c41_z.jpg
    38132352212_0497407c41_z.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 38132352492_3a971c8a79_z.jpg
    38132352492_3a971c8a79_z.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 127
Looks like an Arctic Skua to me - note the sharp points to the central tail feathers, and the longish but slender bill :t:

Don't hold with this stupid jeager nonsense, it ought to be abolished ;)

Looks like an Arctic Skua to me - note the sharp points to the central tail feathers, and the longish but slender bill :t:

Don't hold with this stupid jeager nonsense, it ought to be abolished ;)

Agree with Arctic Skua.

The name "jaeger" comes from the German word for "hunter". In some ways it's more logical than the word "skua", which is apparently derived from the Faroese word "skugvur", the specific name for Great Skua, but I can't bring myself to use it....

Agree with Arctic Skua.

The name "jaeger" comes from the German word for "hunter". In some ways it's more logical than the word "skua", which is apparently derived from the Faroese word "skugvur", the specific name for Great Skua, but I can't bring myself to use it....

You are right Andy, but if bird names had to be chosen by logic, there's a bunch of changes we would have to do in our World bird lists...

You are right Andy, but if bird names had to be chosen by logic, there's a bunch of changes we would have to do in our World bird lists...

Even the Germans don't use it :t:

yeah, we call them 'robber gulls'. but the danes call them "jaeger" = same expression as in german for hunter. skuas are just the Catharacta species (in german, danish etc.)

well, they share "ø" and "æ" so in a haste i assumed this wiki page was danish...but i should have known better since i visited varanger just 1,5 years ago...

Hi Nathan,

Hi, In Dutch they are called Jagers, which indeed means agressive chaser. Greetings from Holland!

Thanks for confirming my uninformed guess!

I knew it had to be intrepid Dutch seafarers, sailing the seven seas, and giving fitting names to all birds they encountered! ;-)

Greetings from Hamburg,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back