• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bendigo, Australia - Early bird call who? (1 Viewer)

BlacksmithBird

Hi there,

I've recently moved to Eppalock, a regional area of Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. I've noticed this bird call some mornings, very early, right outside my window approx. 5:30am. I took this recording this morning (attached) 12th November. I cant get a photo as I believe he is sitting on the roof - whenever I've tried to sneak out to get a closer look, he's gone before I get there!

There are three parts to the call, a high, medium and low part, all are in this recording. It starts about 8 seconds in, always with the high part first, followed immediately with the medium part, then a few seconds break and finally the low part.

I'd love to know who this guy is, as he is a bit of a mystery to the species I've identified thus far out here. Thank you for your time!

BlacksmithBird

Attachments

• 540am Bird Call.m4a
    254.9 KB · Views: 40
Hi,

Sounds like a Noisy Miner doing its morning calls .... though don't discount Pied Butcherbird doing an impersonation! :)

Chosun

Hrmm... I appreciate the reply, thank you! But, I'm about 99% sure it's not a miner and given that I can hear the same call off in the distance at the same time, I'd say it's unlikely to be a mimnick.
The third part of the call, the 'squeaky wheel' part at the end is the interesting bit - toward the end of the recording...?

I'm about 99% sure it is ;) Check some of the many sound recordings on Xeno-Canto, particularly from the early mornings, and in your type of country - they match all three parts of the call you recorded - it's a fairly typical morning call.
http://www.xeno-canto.org/explore?query=noisy+miner

They have a wide range of calls, not just their usual alarm type calls during the day (great for alerting you to raptors - if you listen closely to the particular alarm type they'll even tell you which sort of raptor is around! :) ...... cool ay!? :cool:

The Butcher bird is quite capable of mimicking this and many many other calls - in fact I once (unsighted) nearly mistook one for an out of area Lyre bird! Though when mimicking their calls are somewhat softer, so listening to your recording (particularly the first part) - I'd say it's the real deal Noisy Miner.

Chosun :gh:

Pretty sure its a Blue Faced Honeyeater. We live in Bendigo and there early morning calls mimic some other birds but there is some of there basic calls in your recording

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back