• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Tripod Experts? (2 Viewers)

Having spent a bundle of cash on a 500mm lens and a spotting scope I dont, if I can help it, want to spend loads on a tripod. I do realise though I do need to be using a very good one for the type of pictures I want to take.

So, my dad (from his Navy days) has the following which I have been using and it seems ok. Being no expert in photography I wonder if someone could give me a clue as to if it is indeed ok, or I should be getting something better.

FYI I am taking pictures of aircraft at between heights of 4000 to 30000ft.

The mack of the stand is Studex, made in France it also has Giztzo and Gilux written on it.

The head, well, I have taken a picture of the head (and the tripod) and the head comes from her Majesty's Navy :)

www.seatcupra.net/shaggy/tri1.jpg

www.seatcupra.net/shaggy/tri2.jpg

Ah, I see the head now. I'd keep the legset, I reckon it's going to be solid if you don't extend the centre column. I'd see about getting a new head though, maybe a Manfrotto fluid type.
The No.3 head is desirable for many photographers so you may get a good price for it.

I would totally agree with Andy.
Gitzo's are the " Rolls Royce " of tripods, here's a link to their web site http://www.gitzo.com/

A fluid head such as the Manfrotto 128 RC ( Warehouse Express £59 ) would be easier to use with the scope.

Try cleaning the tripod with WD40 and use a toothbrush to get at the leg joints. If the chrome nuts are not too corroded Autosol metal polish would clean them up.

Don Hoey said:
I would totally agree with Andy.
Gitzo's are the " Rolls Royce " of tripods, here's a link to their web site http://www.gitzo.com/

A fluid head such as the Manfrotto 128 RC ( Warehouse Express £59 ) would be easier to use with the scope.

Try cleaning the tripod with WD40 and use a toothbrush to get at the leg joints. If the chrome nuts are not too corroded Autosol metal polish would clean them up.

Nice, thanks Don. I will give that a go tommorow. And to think he was going to take it up the rubbish tip next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back