• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Comma,,,,,,,,,? (1 Viewer)

deborah4

Hi - help appreciated

Spotted a pair of Comma this evening - thing is my guide (Collins British Wildlife) has very little detail or species variation - so just want to make sure
- they were very deep red/orange with dark yellow spots, comma shape and size (as Peacock) but also wings were edged in black/dark brown and the upper wing had a cream coloured splodge/spot towards upper outside edge neither of which appears in the guide illustration. The body was greyish/ochre and the legs pale slate/grey. It was sunbathing or flutterbying so couldn't get sight of underwing.

Are there any other UK species variation of Comma or is this a bog standard?

(Guide illustrates Polygonia c-album)

Hi Deborah P C-album does vary in size and colour,the only other Polygonia found here is P egea which blows here occasionally from S Europe.

deborah4 said:
Hi Colin

Great link! Have saved it for future ref. - and yes, it's a comma!
Hi again Deb(if i may be so presumptuous to shorten)

Yes it is a lovely website,having said that,you have to know your families to find your way around comfortably!!

mothman said:
Hi again Deb(if i may be so presumptuous to shorten)

Yes it is a lovely website,having said that,you have to know your families to find your way around comfortably!!

Or select 'common names' and that comes up with an A-Z of English names

Alternatively, try a search in BF 'Butterflies and Moths' gallery

Adey Baker said:
Or select 'common names' and that comes up with an A-Z of English names
Blimey I never noticed that.luckily I'm not too bad at the scientific names even though I can't remember day to day stuff like pin numbers or where I left my child(that one is a long story)

Hi

Sorry to bother you again guys - another great link Pete thanks! - but I have two rather banal questions and don't want to start two other threads!

Firstly: Caterpillar ID - probably some kind of hawk moth - and again no pics in Collins and not sure how to look for caterpillars on web links - very large, olive green with a Blue horn? (It had fallen from a tree not sure of species, maybe Lime)

Secondly: I planted Buddlia and nettles in the garden last year which are now giving rise to a wonderful supply of butterflies - problem is they keep coming into my bedroom which overlooks the garden! Had a Peacock yesterday and a Red Admiral this morning - both of whom became trapped. Managed to get them both out after some difficulty - the Red Admiral finally walked onto my fingers which I placed down inbetween the open sash. SO: Is there a way of handling butterflies if they need to be 'caught' - ie can I pick them up by the closed wings and not harm them, or should I try and get a butterfly net!!!!

Hi Deborah,

I'll leave the catty to one of our resident moth experts ;), but as for handling butterflies if you have to - you've got the right idea with your suggestion of picking them up by the closed wings, between thumb and forefinger. Just be careful not to let their wings rub together as you do so, as of course that will lead to them losing scales.

You may find as the summer wears on you'll get more and more coming into the house, particularly Small Tortoiseshells - they'll be looking for somewhere cool and dry to hibernate. Your call as to whether to evict them or not!

Cheers,

Jon

deborah4 said:
Hi

Sorry to bother you again guys - another great link Pete thanks! - but I have two rather banal questions and don't want to start two other threads!

Firstly: Caterpillar ID - probably some kind of hawk moth - and again no pics in Collins and not sure how to look for caterpillars on web links - very large, olive green with a Blue horn? (It had fallen from a tree not sure of species, maybe Lime)

Secondly: I planted Buddlia and nettles in the garden last year which are now giving rise to a wonderful supply of butterflies - problem is they keep coming into my bedroom which overlooks the garden! Had a Peacock yesterday and a Red Admiral this morning - both of whom became trapped. Managed to get them both out after some difficulty - the Red Admiral finally walked onto my fingers which I placed down inbetween the open sash. SO: Is there a way of handling butterflies if they need to be 'caught' - ie can I pick them up by the closed wings and not harm them, or should I try and get a butterfly net!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back