• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL or Zeiss Fl 8x42? (1 Viewer)

MattX

Which one would you choose and why, main purpose is spotting animals?

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 or Zeiss Victory FL 8x42 binoculars

the Zeiss lacks the lotutec (hydrophobic) coating, the Swarovski has the easy clean.
I often go out when its raining, I don't see much difference.

I have both but I can't really make up my mind, and I don't want to flip a coin.
I can't keep both either.

They are both at the top, that is why it is largely personal preference.

Someone else's recommendation would not mean as much as your own eyes and experience.

any recommendation for a testing scenario?

Seeing thru brush works with the Zeiss a little (if any) better.

The image of the Swarovski is a little bit more relaxing

I tried to read license plates until complete darkness, a clear tie.

I asked my cousin which he likes better, and when he looked thru the Swarovski he said "wow".
We were testing both in complete darkness, no real difference, the Zeiss seemed a tad brighter.

It seems as though you can't seperate them in use, if you are equally happy with either inthe field then stick with the Swaro, by all accounts their warranty is the 'mutts nuts'. Spoke to a guy recently who returned his 10 year old pair as the focus was beginning to stiffen. They repaired the focus, replaced the rubber armour and returned them with occular and objective lens covers!

Perry

It seems as though you can't seperate them in use, if you are equally happy with either inthe field then stick with the Swaro, by all accounts their warranty is the 'mutts nuts'. Spoke to a guy recently who returned his 10 year old pair as the focus was beginning to stiffen. They repaired the focus, replaced the rubber armour and returned them with occular and objective lens covers!

Perry

Matt: I responded before and wanted to give each choice equal billing.
They are both very good, I do own the Swar. 8.5x42 and they are excellent, and I do agree with the other poster, that from what you would gather from
this forum and others, and in my experience that Swaro. service is exceptional, and the best. For long term, that may make your decision
easier.

If you mean glassing for animals that you haven't found yet, the sharper edge of the Swaro might help you notice something in the fringe of the field. Its wider sweet spot also might seem more relaxing if you are glued to the eyepieces for long periods. But if the light is harsh, the Swaro's color fringing gets on my nerves. The Zeiss is a hair brighter, but that's so close I wouldn't consider it much of a factor.
Ron

Why Is the Zeiss without the lotutec coating?

I have just gone through a similar dilema to yourself. I used a couple of pairs of Swaro EL in the Lake District during the summer (some kind folk on the Osprey watch let me have a go) and I was smitten. However, when it came to testing them against the competition I purchased the Zeiss Victory FL (8x42) and they have the lotutec coating.As others have said, at this price point I think it comes down to which you feel most comfortable with. The image quality of each is fabulous and the differences are tiny. I would be happy with either pair. I chose the Zeiss because they felt "right". The image is wonderfully bright and sharp. Colour rendition appeared to me to be spot on. In truth, if I was using the Swaro's in the field rather than comparing them next to a pair of Zeiss or Leica I think I would be hard pushed to identify any shortcomings. Likewise, if just using the Zeiss or the Leica on their own with no immediate comparison.

Interestingly, when I was auditioning the binoculars I had my 11 year-old daughter with me. She is not seduced by the price or the name or any perceived cache. She preferred the Zeiss "because they they are just better, Dad". Pretty objective. She offers the same critical analysis when it comes to buying hifi (but let us not go there).

Find a decent dealer who has the Zeiss and Swaro (and Leica Ultravids) and try them out. You will know which ones are "right".

Which one would you choose and why, main purpose is spotting animals?

Swarovski EL 8.5x42 or Zeiss Victory FL 8x42 binoculars

the Zeiss lacks the lotutec (hydrophobic) coating, the Swarovski has the easy clean.
I often go out when its raining, I don't see much difference.

I have both but I can't really make up my mind, and I don't want to flip a coin.
I can't keep both either.

Personally I have had both the Swarovski and the Zeiss and I much prefer the optics and the total package in the Zeiss FL. These two are both wonderful binoculars and you can't go wrong with either. Most reviews have favored the Zeiss FL's by a close margin though. Here are some links to some reviews.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publica...Age_Binos.html
http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Zei...-Binocular.php
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/8x42.html
http://outside.away.com/outside/gear...ction=showgear
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2...hart_main.html

Dennis

[QUOTEMost reviews have favored the Zeiss FL's by a close margin though. Here are some links to some reviews.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publica...Age_Binos.html
http://www.betterviewdesired.com/Zei...-Binocular.php
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/8x42.html
http://outside.away.com/outside/gear...ction=showgear
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2...hart_main.html

Dennis[/QUOTE]

More than a few reviews describe the 8x42 FLs "edge to edge sharpness." This is the singular weakness of this otherwise superlative optic in every sample I have checked. And I write this as a generally satisfied 8x42 FL owner!

NP

More than a few reviews describe the 8x42 FLs "edge to edge sharpness." This is the singular weakness of this otherwise superlative optic in every sample I have checked. And I write this as a generally satisfied 8x42 FL owner!

NP[/QUOTE]

I disagree my Zeiss 8x32 FL's as sharp edge to edge as any roof I have seen. The Nikon 8x32 SE is a little sharper but then again it is a porro! The Zeiss is VERY close though and it is WATERPROOF!

Dennis

NP

I disagree my Zeiss 8x32 FL's as sharp edge to edge as any roof I have seen. The Nikon 8x32 SE is a little sharper but then again it is a porro! The Zeiss is VERY close though and it is WATERPROOF!

Dennis[/QUOTE]

Dennis, I mentioned the 8x42 in my previous post, not the 32; the 32mm is indeed sharper than the 42mm beyond the centerfield view. Mr. Pinewood is an authority on the 32 and might pipe up. Both of these and the Swar 8.5 are superb all-weather binocs, so there is not much to debate beyond small details.

NP

Dennis

Dennis, I mentioned the 8x42 in my previous post, not the 32; the 32mm is indeed sharper than the 42mm beyond the centerfield view. Mr. Pinewood is an authority on the 32 and might pipe up. Both of these and the Swar 8.5 are superb all-weather binocs, so there is not much to debate beyond small details.

NP[/QUOTE]

Your right. I had the 8x42 Zeiss FL and it was not as sharp at the edge as the 8x32 FL.

Dennis

Well, I just sent back a pair of 8x32 FL's... I lived with them a week and had plenty of time to compare them to my Leica 8x32 BR's. The FL's had a noticeably smaller sweet spot that fell off rapidly (much more so than the Leica). The Zeiss also had poorer resolution, and the FL's, to my eyes, were too "contrasty" and not the "natural" view (color rendition) that my Leicas give. I also didn't like the fast focus of the Zeiss. Honestly, the only thing I liked about the Zeiss over the Leica was the extra eye-relief of the oculars fully extended, the Lotutec coating, and the ocular cover (rainguard). Everything else went to the Leica corner...

A "sample of one" is largely just a starting point but my "sample of one" made me happy I own the Leica's...

Well, I just sent back a pair of 8x32 FL's... I lived with them a week and had plenty of time to compare them to my Leica 8x32 BR's. The FL's had a noticeably smaller sweet spot that fell off rapidly (much more so than the Leica). The Zeiss also had poorer resolution, and the FL's, to my eyes, were too "contrasty" and not the "natural" view (color rendition) that my Leicas give. I also didn't like the fast focus of the Zeiss. Honestly, the only thing I liked about the Zeiss over the Leica was the extra eye-relief of the oculars fully extended, the Lotutec coating, and the ocular cover (rainguard). Everything else went to the Leica corner...

A "sample of one" is largely just a starting point but my "sample of one" made me happy I own the Leica's...

Interesting. That's why you should try before you buy. You should be glad you like the Leica 8x32 BR's because you can buy them on E-bay for less than $600.00 alot of times! The older Leica's are really a couple of generations behind the newer Alphas and I find it really surprising that you felt the resolution of the Leica's were superior because correction of CA is usually better in ED or Fluorite type lenses and that results in better resolution. I sold my Leica 8x32 BN's and 7x42 BN's a long time ago because for me they were not even as good as my Zen Ray 8x42 ED's and the Zeiss FL's are superior to the Zen Rays. Everybody prefers a different view and looks for different things. I am really sensitive to CA because I know what it is now and I found the Leicas to have way more of it than either the Zen Rays or the Zeiss FL's. If you like the overall view of the Leicas you might try their HD version if you get a chance and see if the corrected CA makes a difference for you. If you don't see CA your lucky because it will save you alot of money!

Dennis

Last edited:
Interesting. That's why you should try before you buy. You should be glad you like the Leica 8x32 BR's because you can buy them on E-bay for less than $600.00 alot of times! The older Leica's are really a couple of generations behind the newer Alphas and I find it really surprising that you felt the resolution of the Leica's were superior because correction of CA is usually better in ED or Fluorite type lenses and that results in better resolution. I sold my Leica 8x32 BN's and 7x42 BN's a long time ago because for me they were not even as good as my Zen Ray 8x42 ED's and the Zeiss FL's are superior to the Zen Rays. Everybody prefers a different view and looks for different things. I am really sensitive to CA because I know what it is now and I found the Leicas to have way more of it than either the Zen Rays or the Zeiss FL's. If you like the overall view of the Leicas you might try their HD version if you get a chance and see if the corrected CA makes a difference for you. If you don't see CA your lucky because it will save you alot of money!

Dennis

I'm not sure what you're thinking of... "BR's" are Ultravids... just a couple years old. They certainly go for more than $600 used and were $1450 three years ago new.

You're likely thinking of the older BA's and BN's...

I think he meant BN. What is interesting to me are the comments on eye relief and contrast. I recently bought Leica 8x32 HD's and the eye relief is better than my Zeiss 10x32's, despite published specs, and the 10's were touted by Zeiss as having at least the ER of the 8's. Luckily I have very close setting glasses--but don't need them with the Leicas. The Leica image also has more contrast and punch in my view, I really like them a lot for birding.

I think he meant BN. What is interesting to me are the comments on eye relief and contrast. I recently bought Leica 8x32 HD's and the eye relief is better than my Zeiss 10x32's, despite published specs, and the 10's were touted by Zeiss as having at least the ER of the 8's. Luckily I have very close setting glasses--but don't need them with the Leicas. The Leica image also has more contrast and punch in my view, I really like them a lot for birding.

I think he meant BN's or BA's also. I would think an 8x32 Leica HD would have more eye relief than a 10x32 Zeiss FL although Zeiss does brag about their eye relief. Leica's do have excellent contrast and that is one thing I have always liked about them. How are the Leica HD's for CA? I would imagine pretty good. By the way where did you your Leica 8x32 HD's and what did you have to pay for them?

Dennis

HD's have more CA than the Zeiss, but I looked for it. I like everything about them. I got them as certified-preowned from Cameraland, I work in New York City, and I'll just say it was a good enough price for me to jump, and their service is great. I've developed a New York mentally for purchases if you know what that means.

HD's have more CA than the Zeiss, but I looked for it. I like everything about them. I got them as certified-preowned from Cameraland, I work in New York City, and I'll just say it was a good enough price for me to jump, and their service is great. I've developed a New York mentally for purchases if you know what that means.

Cameraland has some smoking deals at times when they want to move some stock. I believe the New York mentality for purchases is if it's a good deal buy it before somebody else does!

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back