• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper, Alpen 788, or Theron Saker? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hello all,

From information gained through my previous thread about budget scopes, I've narrowed my options to three scopes:

Vortex Viper (non-HD) 15-45x65 (approx. $350)

Alpen 788 20-60x80 (approx. $315)

Theron Saker ED 15-45x60 (approx. $260)

I've read great things about the Alpen, though primarily from hunters and target shooters, so I'm am not particularly sure how it works with regards to birding (I use 7x & 10x as my main binos, and this scope would primarily be used for surveying waterfowl and shorebirds, identifying color bands, and eagle nest-monitoring from stationary locations). The 80mm objective is the main thing I like about this scope, and since weight isn't really an issue for my uses, portability doesn't matter much.

The Saker ED has been well-received by forum members, but aside from here, I've read little about this scope. Although the accolades and glowing reviews have left me greatly interested, I am concerned by two particular things: the smaller objective lens as compared to the other two mentioned, and durability/warranty issues. I like my equipment to be sturdy and robust, as I do a lot of field work in harsh conditions and really don't make enough money as a technician to continually replace my tools.

The Viper is the one I've read the least about, and though I've used Viper, Viper HD, and Razor binoculars in the past, I have no experience with their scopes. Vortex seems to make fairly reliable products, but I really can't say much else about this scope.

So there is my spiel, and I really would appreciate any help in making my decision. The only scopes I've spent much time with are my currently owned Bushnell Spacemaster which is alright but is dim and doesn't fit well with my glasses, and a few lower and higher end Kowas I've used for work.

All the best,
Justin

Justin,

You know my preference would be for the Saker. I have owned/handled it and don't remember there being anything about durability that would separate it from other scopes at or even slightly above its price point. As for warranty concerns, I do know that Pat goes above and beyond for his customers. If you had some type of legitimate issue then he would make it right.

As for the smaller objective...it may be a bit of a factor with the 80 mm model assuming all else is equal, which it isn't exactly, but I doubt you would see much difference between the 60 mm objective and the 65.

I mentioned it not being entirely equal. What I was referencing was the use of ED glass in the Saker versus the standard glass in the two others. As has often been referenced here, ED glass does not an optic make. The optical device has to be designed to take advantage of the benefits of the ED objective design. I think the Saker design does this. Because of that fact I believe the image is going to be slightly sharper and more contrast filled in comparsion to equally sized non ED scopes. The reduction in CA should also be noticeable in comparison especially as you move up the magnification range.

Just my initial thoughts.

Frank,

Thanks for your opinions; the previous reviews of this scope by you and Steve (MOL) are the primary sources I've used to make my decision regarding this as the top contender (along with its cheaper price). I'm glad to hear your thoughts regarding the durability and warranty of this scope; although I wouldn't say I am rough on optics, my line of work definitely puts them through the grinder at times and I really like my equipment to hold up to this kind of use.

Regards,
Justin

My Theron Saker sat a week out in Scottish gales, wandered over the Cairngorms, got batted about on Hebridean beaches....and was a joy to use.

It is for the price an absolute steal of a scope.

My Theron Saker sat a week out in Scottish gales, wandered over the Cairngorms, got batted about on Hebridean beaches....and was a joy to use.

It is for the price an absolute steal of a scope.

Ratal,

That sounds similar to the type of beating I'll be putting my scope through. Your recommendation of the Saker ED 60 in the previous thread was particularly relevant, as I noticed you've used the Hawke ED 85 which I got a chance to try when some UK birders came to my previous refuge to get a look at some Henslow's Sparrows. I found the view in that to be magnificent, and if someone who similarly thinks highly of that scope recommends something such as the Saker, I take that with great interest.

By chance, has anyone used the SINNO Pro tripod you can get bundled with the Saker ED?

Happy birding,
Justin

The new Regal 65 has a very competitive price and Is a very good scope..I do own a cherry unit of the original regal,So cherry units DO happen in that model,( i mean a perfectly corrected scope),..I have no other experiences with the model ,so i cant comment in QC or percentage of good/bad scopes,nor can i say that ALL these scopes are excellent,but mine is a REALLY good scope.Warranty is also good,although the no-fault policy is no longer offered by celestron.I owned a Helios Fieldmaster 60,the european version of the Saker...warranty in europe is REALLY bad..1 year..a joke..I dont know how Theron manages this model warranty..The Zoom broke in my unit,otherwise the scope held pretty well.The tripod mount is a bit too flimsy though and I can see that part breaking ( I think i read at least one case of that happening)..The optics CAN be good but my unit had a bit of a collimation issue going on..It was really sharp,but for some reason the sharpest part of the image was not centered but a bit off-center in the lower-right quarter..it was the strangest star test I have seen..again image quality was fine at low power,and only at the higest power could i notice this fact..besides breaking,the zoom is pretty dark..considerably dimmer at all powers than the Celestron regal Zoom(tested both in the celestron)..With a fixed 24x wide eyepiece made a really good scope..again ,for 250 euros a 1 year warranty is NOT GOOD..

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back