• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbirds, CA and around (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
In order to avoid littering the forum, I have collected all the hums in one thread, leading to a two-post split. All pictures taken in August.

In the first post, all are from San Diego and around, where the question for orangey hums is mostly Costa's/Rufous. Peterson says that females are impossible in field, what do you all say? :)

Attachments

• aMG_1532.JPG
    aMG_1532.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 32
  • aMG_2437.JPG
    aMG_2437.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 31
  • aMG_2883.JPG
    aMG_2883.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 22
  • aMG_4841.JPG
    aMG_4841.JPG
    216.1 KB · Views: 26
The second part is more diverse:

First two are from the basin below Mt. Wheeler in NE Nevada, the third is from Desolation Wildreness near lake Tahoe and the last two are of the same bird in Central Valley south of San Francisco.

Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments

• bMG_7515.JPG
    bMG_7515.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 20
  • bMG_7532.JPG
    bMG_7532.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 16
  • bMG_8665.JPG
    bMG_8665.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 23
  • cMG_0541.JPG
    cMG_0541.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 21
  • cMG_0543.JPG
    cMG_0543.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 25
Check the literature again, it should be Allen's/Rufous. These appear to be Allen's due to the green backs, also the much more abundant species in San Diego in August, although both are expected and Rufous is fairly common.

not sure on the 2nd set of pictures, pics 4&5 I would guess Anna's/Black-chinned and if I had to pick one I'd guess Black-chinned

Oh sorry, I meant Allen's, just got the names mixed up. Is the green backs mark reliable for females? I just don't wanna tick Allen's as a lifer without reasonable certainty.

Oh sorry, I meant Allen's, just got the names mixed up. Is the green backs mark reliable for females? I just don't wanna tick Allen's as a lifer without reasonable certainty.

No its not. I would have to leave them as Allen's/Rufous unless you want to go by probability. There are far more Allen's than Rufous, but unless you see a male in breeding plumage, I don't see how anyone could possibly be certain.

No its not. I would have to leave them as Allen's/Rufous unless you want to go by probability. There are far more Allen's than Rufous, but unless you see a male in breeding plumage, I don't see how anyone could possibly be certain.

The birds have to recongnize each other, right? :) I have found some websites where IDs are attempted based on the tail patterns, that's why I tried to provide some pictures with visible tails, but it seems really complex to do.

Sorry to bump my old thread, but while I guess I have to give up on the first set, isn't there any chance for the second one? Mr. Tom Baxter has already suggested an interesting pick for the last bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back