• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Prostaff 5 (1 Viewer)

dedger

I have decided to replace my current scope the rspb ag80 I have never been happy with it, it is hard to focus and is not very clear when it is, I have been looking at a Nikon Prostaff 5 with 20-60 zoom eyepiece for £425, is it an improvement on my old scope? and what other scope for this kind of money would you recommend, I will try a few out this week but I'm looking for ideas.
Thanks Derek.

I know nothing about your current scope, but have tested the Prostaff 5 Fieldscope 82 one day together with an ED50 and had to say - great scope for the money! It's not ED glasses, but still a bargain and great visual quality for this price range.

Decent scope. Replaced the far heavier Nikon RAiii, all RAiii eyepieces work great with the Prostaff 5.
Used the 60mm version in Spain last April and had no complaints at all for the money, it found me a Black-Winged Kite so that might be why I have no complaints :t:
Other alternative I would look at is the Hawke Endurance ED which can be seen here: http://www.onestopnature.co.uk/epages/es143788.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es143788/Products/HT100

Great quality scope with decent build quality and lovely optics. Focus action is smooth and consistent as well, as is the zoom eyepiece.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the comments everyone, but I have just picked up a mint used ED82 with the stay on case and the 30x eyepiece for £680, this isn't much more money than the prostaff or the Hawke mentioned but it is a great scope and I'm very pleased with it.
I want to have a go at digiscoping this year and I know this is up to the job.

Thanks for the comments everyone, but I have just picked up a mint used ED82 with the stay on case and the 30x eyepiece for £680, this isn't much more money than the prostaff or the Hawke mentioned but it is a great scope and I'm very pleased with it.
I want to have a go at digiscoping this year and I know this is up to the job.

Excellent ! One of the best scope in its class ! I have used it for few years together with ED50 ;)

Congrats! That's a steal for the money, won't regret it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back