• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buteo sp.... Azores November 2012 (1 Viewer)

I'm tempted to red tailed hawk. I was toying with long legged buzzard. I'm only really going on google images.

Vallery will point you in the right direction though....

I'm tempted to red tailed hawk. I was toying with long legged buzzard. I'm only really going on google images.

Vallery will point you in the right direction though....

It doesn't look like a Red-tailed Hawk to me, certainly not like the ones where I live.

Though I'm sure this deserves much discussion.

Agreed!!! Very interesting bird.

Buteo rufinus cirtensis might be a contender...?

Tail pattern is good for North African Buzzard indeed (that I call Buteo [buteo] cirtensis); but I've no experience of Iberian intermediate population. I would exclude all North American species.

There are now some hybrids between common buzzard,buteo buteo,and long legged buzzard buteo rufinus cirtensis.I know of some in my area of Cadiz,Spain but they tend to look more like buteo buteo with the tail features of cirtensis.I have not seen a bird like this But it could be a cirtensis in plumage moult. MHO of course Eddy.

There are now some hybrids between common buzzard,buteo buteo,and long legged buzzard buteo rufinus cirtensis

- Buteo & cirtensis hybridizes
- Cirtensis has a voice similar to buteo, different compared to rufinus
- Shape of cirtensis is similar to buteo and is not long-winged as rufinus
- There is no genetic support of actual "usual" classification

So why calling cirtensis "long-legged"?

i don't know if rothschildi is as variable as buteo but such birds certainly are within variation of nominate common buzzard.

Exact, as many cirtensis also falls within variation of Common Buzzard (what it is, probably). I was not aware of local population of CB on Açores. I checked on the web and didn't find rothshildi (not recognized as a subspecies by some authorities) with similar plain buff rump and reddish tinge on tail, but photos are few and the most likely solution is, indeed, a local buzzard...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back