• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Bins For £300 (1 Viewer)

Nikon 8x30 EII. I've been through most of the top roofs, many of them beautiful, but have reverted to the EIi's as giving IMHO the best combination of features. Small and light and beautiful. Don't worry about waterproofing...I live in Ireland, not exactly known for dry conditions, and my EII's have never fogged. And I don't baby them. Nikon's service centre in Kingston upon Thames are excellent if you do damage them (I once dropped my 10x35). It could be argued that no bino is really waterproof anyway; seals degrade, nitrogen escapes, and many people who think they're toting waterproofs aren't. In fact, the binos that need to be mollycoddled and babied are the 2k-plus roofs...you'll be a lot more heartbroken, and possibly out of pocket, if you drop them! I got my current EII's from Chinaarts in HK, postage free (I can send you Joseph Lai's e-mail if you want). If I ever damage them, and Kingston can't fix them, I'll simply buy another pair.

There is evidence here in this Forum that the Nikon 8x30 EII will come up to professional standards of use as will other well made Porro prisms.

I recall a former member here, Auto McDiesel, The Panonian Sailor, who had a livelihood as a Professional Naturalist. He used a Nikon 8x30 EII in his work and discussed it on a number of occasions. I recall reading that he also used the Swift 804 8.5 x44 Porro Prism. He mentioned when he was working in Eastern Europe that he gave it to a professional colleague there who had troubles finding a 1st rate binocular.

He may still be prowling around here under another name. I wonder what binocular he is using if he is still in the business?

Then there is that older famous Ornithologist, whose name escapes me now, who has been using the same 10x50 Porro prism in his work in South East Virginia for over 50 years. That gentleman, with his binocular, pictures and all, has been featured here in the Binocular Forum.

Bob

Bob,

I also miss Otto, who seems to have disappeared about 2007. His opinions on the Swift HR/5 Audubon/Kestrel are easy to find, but I'll just post this one HERE. I'm not sure whether I like the 8.5x or 10x versions better (they share the same eyepieces), but he was not wrong about the 10x50 Kestrel.

The only problem with Porros (excepting the Nikon SE) is inadequate eye relief for many people.

Mine have all fallen into disuse for that reason.

Ed

Hi,

eye relief is indeed an important point, which many tend to overlook if they don't need glasses - guilty as charged here ;-)

While the E2s have a bit more than the Habichts, it's usually marginal if you have to wear glasses while using bins - it might work or not depending on your prescription and frame model.

On the other hand, as long as you don't have astigmatism or a very different prescription for your eyes, using the bins without glasses should work, although it's a hassle.

Unfortunately porro bins often have not a lot of eye relief, notable exceptions are the Nikon SE series (discontinued and rather unobtainium) and the Kowa YFs (8x30 16mm, 6x30 a whopping 20mm - too much for some).
Both are recommended - the SE as being alpha class bins - if you can get them, the Kowa YF (or the very similar Leupold Yosemite) as being a quite usable low-cost options - the 6x30 is especially suited for kids.

Joachim

And the price is the least problem with the SE 8x32... although I still hope that Nikon will launch an SE Mk2 series with updated coatings for the anniversary next year... one can still dream...

Joachim

If your on a budget but want alpha level optics a porro like the EII is your only choice. The SE 8x32 and the Habicht 8x30 W are a little better but then your getting into $600 to $1000. Still those three are the best bargains in the binocular world. All porro's.

Also worth considering is Nikon SE 10x42. Discontinued, but if you can get a 2nd hand pair, go for it. I got a pair from a BF über-gentleman, and I honestly think they are the most pleasing binos I've ever used.

There are any number of excellent binoculars out there in your price range. As many others have stated, the Nikon EII porros are probably the best, optically, within your budget. Whether they're the best for your intended use is probably a rather different question.

I have a set of 8x30 EIIs which I like, a lot. But I seldom use them in the field (I use them a lot from my balcony). This isn't due to lack of weatherproofing, but because their rather bulky and awkward shape make them difficult to pack when compared with 8x30ish roof prism binoculars - since my binoculars generally end up in a camera bag where space is at a large premium alongside all my camera gear. I generally have a camera with me, and a camera bag of appropriate size (often a fairly small one if I'm not specifically going out with a plan to take photos). If it's convenient for me, I'll put binoculars in the bag along with camera(s), lens(es) etc. - so I've taken pains to make sure I have binoculars that do fit conveniently. Else I'd likely not have binoculars with me at all. And as with cameras, the binoculars I have with me are better than the ones sitting at home, no matter their optical qualities.

That's just one example of usage pattern - so think about what yours will be. If you are likely to carry them with you on casual walks, in mostly decent weather, then something like the Nikon EII might be just the ticket. If you're planning to be wading through wetlands at dawn or dusk, in the pouring rain, looking to view waterbirds then you'd probably best look for something else (more like, say, a nice set of 10x50 waterproof roof prism bins).

There are no doubt limitless variations. So think how you're likely to use binoculars, then look to buy the bins that best match your use. Or be like some of us here, who have different bins for different uses (and probably invent uses just to give us an excuse to buy different bins).

...Mike

Wow

Many thanks everyone for all your replies and wonderful advice :t:

I'm swaying heavily towards the Nikon EII bins at this time they do seem to tick most of the boxes they also seem to be fantastic quality and very well built and this type of classic bin brings back happy memories from my youth. .

I live in lovely Somerset where the odd flood and weeks of heavy rain have been known to occur this may be a bit of an issue. but on the flip side of this some of you also live in similar climates and your Nikons seem to be fine with this type of weather.

I normally wear a baggy Goretex smock so they could be easily hid away from the odd shower if the worse case scenario happened.

I will check out your other recommendations though and the links you have posted :t:

Also many thanks for the links to the sales threads I will take a look through these as well

I'm off to sunny Cyprus early tomorrow for a week so please forgive me for any replies I miss after this. I will catch up with this thread next week and let you all know what I decide :t:

kindest regards

Stuart

wow !

Got home from work today to find the wife has bought me an early xmas pressie she has got me a pair of the latest canon is 12x36 iii image stabilised binoculars i'm totally blown away.

I wondered why she kept telling me to hold fire on buying a new pair i am one lucky fella.

many thanks for all your advice and tips looks like I'm sorted now they are incredible bins.

I'm itching to get up to Greylake tomorrow

Last edited:
I've had those, and now have the Canon IS 10x30. They are both superb. All I can say is....to hell with binoculars. A wife like that comes only once in a lifetime....keep the wife, the binoculars are irrelevant!!!;)

Last edited:
lol cheers folks she is a star . she did loads of research bless her and decided I would like these . had a chance to try them out this morning there incredible bins so clear and the image stabilising system really is superb.

She did her research well. I'm convinced that all our banging on here about the minuteae of optics is missing the single most important variable...stability of image enables one to really 'see' the bird. They're not easy or cheap to get serviced, but don't drop them (as I did my 12x36 IS) and they will serve you well for many years. Meanwhile best wishes to you and your good lady wife; much as though I love Mme. Sancho, and much as though I have learned exactly what type of handbag she likes (you think optics are complicated? Sheeesh!), I would be terrified to let her buy me binos, for fear she would come home with a pair of 8x20-200 zoomies from Argos;).

lol cheers folks she is a star . she did loads of research bless her and decided I would like these . had a chance to try them out this morning there incredible bins so clear and the image stabilising system really is superb.

That is quite a good wife alright. Very nice. My congratulations ( I think I meant compliments?) to her. A*

I thought that was you I saw in the handbag section the other day Sancho :))

I can't even choose a backpack but I've got 5 now to try out. One is a 6L made for Munchkins I think? Sits between my shoulder blades. At least it holds some bins. You could get your wives to carry yours. Wow I'm on a roll. I'll stop now.

Last edited:
I thought that was you I saw in the handbag section the other day Sancho :))

:-O I've became quite the handbag-maven. I know my evening bags from my totes, my Pradas, Mark Jacobs, Mulberrys and Michael Kors. It really is a whole new world of obsession out there for Metrosexuals.

:-O I've became quite the handbag-maven. I know my evening bags from my totes, my Pradas, Mark Jacobs, Mulberrys and Michael Kors. It really is a whole new world of obsession out there for Metrosexuals.

I had no idea Sancho. We must discuss bags and bins over tea someday :)

Some of my friends call me the 'bag lady'. I have (or had) a 'problem' with handbags.
But, i have sold and donated some over the last couple of years during my big de-clutter project. I have much less stuff in my apartment now and it sure feels good to simplify. I now have a few Kipling bags (I love Kipling), a Longchamp
Tote and a nice Brighton quilted pattern microfiber bag. I still think that is too much and will probably get rid of one of them. I also have less bins these days. I have much less stuff cluttering the apartment and I really like it this way now.
I sold , recycled and donated a lot of stuff.

Just like binoculars, I still am searching for the perfect handbag.
It's a phantom that will never be found, but I still like to try :) ... It's futile ...
like those Bigfoot hunters wasting their time roaming around in the forest
searching for something that doesn't exist.

But, I have improved a little and don't look so hard anymore for the perfect bin or bag.

I only had one 'alpha' bag ever (Fendi), but it was heavy (very good material) and the leather straps dug into my arms and my shoulders hurt too, so I got rid of it. I almost bought a Prada last year, but talked myself out of it. Just like bins, the mid-range bags are good enough ... and I enjoy the relatively inexpensive Kipling bags more than most expensive brands. Plus they come with a furry monkey charm.

I also am concerned about over consumption in general and I'm trying to reduce my footprint. But, I never had children so that right there reduces my footprint quite a bit...so I shouldn't feel too bad when I go shopping occasionally (which is not nearly as much these days).

I went pretty far off topic here and will stop now.

Last edited:
I am SO excited that someone on here 'gets' bags, GG! Here's a photo of the three bags I've bought my OH since Xmas. As a coinnoisseur, you will understand which is which.....I don't have to point out the Alpha! I've put my trusty EII's in the frame just to prove it's not a stock-shot (and to pretend that the post relates somehow to binoculars). Also I've no Alpha binos left 'cos I've had to pay for the bags somehow.
Go for the Prada....yes, like binos, there is no single bag for all occasions, but it's a rush walking out of the store saying to yourself 'What's in this box is worth a pair of SV's!' Also, as a middle-aged grey-haired man, it's hilarious when you walk into the Store, carrying the big paper-shopping bag with 'Prada' written on it....the sales-clerks assume you're loaded and make a bee-line for you in the hope of a big sale. In one store, while I was carrying the new bag, a manager asked me if I'd like a coffee while I 'looked around'! I was dressed in my usual old beige and khaki birding-type clothes, but I chanced my arm and said 'I'd love a cappuccino!', so he sent a girl out to Costa Coffee to get me one! (I bought nothing).
Actually the real buzz is knowing exactly what OH will love, even if she gives me hell for the expenditure.
I'll have to check out the Fendis and Kiplings. Nothing too bling, but the furry monkey could be the deal-breaker for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back