• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bins and scopes-myths and reality (1 Viewer)

I just can't understand. Is it a collecting thing? An admiration for good workmanship? Being able to compare and contrast?
I´ll step in uninvited and try to answer that....it´s a lot of things. It´s partly all of the above. It´s largely a "toys for boys" thing (how many women inhabit this dark optics-corner of the forum?) It´s partly a simple hunting/evolutionary thing...humans rely heavily on binocular vision, have pretty good hearing but a comparatively lousy olfactory sense. Our vision for millions of years was the major means by which we ate, and avoided getting eaten. It may also be in my case a psychological throwback to being 10 years old and desperately trying to save "odd-job" pocket-money to get my first pair of bins. (Let´s hear it now for Sancho´s Inner Child, "Awwww......";))

I just thought of something....why are binoculars far more addictive than scopes? I, for one, feel this desperate urge to use the absolute "best" bins out there (as if such a thing existed), but I´m happy enough with a cracking good scope (or scopes), even though there may be better ones available. For me, the obsession is about bins. Anyone care to offer some free psychoanalysis on this issue?

Last edited:
Kevin

As being the original stirrer of the whole thread can I ask you what drives you to do this? I just can't understand. Is it a collecting thing? An admiration for good workmanship? Being able to compare and contrast?

Hope it still allows you time to get out birding;)

Might be a fetish. Ask them if they prefer black or green. ;)

The end is nigh without going Alpha. And I can't see that happening right now.
I can´t help feeling the curious confluence of Swaro/Nikons Alpha-Postponement, and Hawke/Promaster´s comparatively low-key introduction, is the future of the Global Economy writ small. The Future is Chinese, folks. (Mrs. Sanch, being of the Chinese Persuasion, says "I told you so....")

Incidentally, superb thread, Mark....many thanks!

If you observe the world through a pair of binoculars the wrong way, then of course the tiny antics of those at the other end will confuse and beguile you. If however, you reverse your hold and view with objectivity in mind, then the quality and clarity of your vision will improve. All the fine detailing of the scene will make itself apparent, with the correct alignment of the glass, and your senses.

However people wish to enthrall themselves, let them be enthralled.

I just thought of something....why are binoculars far more addictive than scopes? I, for one, feel this desperate urge to use the absolute "best" bins out there (as if such a thing existed), but I´m happy enough with a cracking good scope (or scopes), even though there may be better ones available. For me, the obsession is about bins. Anyone care to offer some free psychoanalysis on this issue?

Never given that a thought before but you are right, I wonder why it's only bins?

Mick

If you observe the world through a pair of binoculars the wrong way, then of course the tiny antics of those at the other end will confuse and beguile you. If however, you reverse your hold and view with objectivity in mind, then the quality and clarity of your vision will improve. All the fine detailing of the scene will make itself apparent, with the correct alignment of the glass, and your senses.

:-OSublime, Dan. I think it's time we started composing binocular Haikus. I'll start:

"I observe falling autumn leaves through my Nikon EII´s....."

Next up to the plate, anyone? Alternatively we take Pinewood´s advice, it´s Laphroaig season again!

Anyone care to offer some free psychoanalysis on this issue?
Not an analyst, I'd wager.

May be entering boggy ground there, Sancho. Ever note how in "Baywatch" it was always the fellas reaching for the binoculars? I conclude that binocular obsession is a modern symptom of a primordial envy/fascination with mammary glands. As such it continues to represent a cost effective diversion.

Never given that a thought before but you are right, I wonder why it's only bins?

Scopes have a lot less personality and they don't get to show off their differences to the same extent because they're mostly used to look at things only in the center of the FOV, and because much of the time their performance is dictated more by atmospheric conditions than their optical design. Also, they're used on a tripod, so the ergonomics are less important to the function of the overall package.

--AP

I find with field glasses Leica are rather good and Bruilladich malt rather delightful.

POP

POP,
I have found out through personal experience that when I write about "Bruichladdich" malt that I spell it first before I drink it!

I think I'll have a dram now. B :) ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Mick
Mick,

Can you imagine a collection of a dozen 'scopes, all mounted on tripods, ready to be used? It would take up more space than some bedrooms. Additionally, one can change the configuration and the 'scope's application with different eyepieces or with a zoom. I have only one 'scope, but I do have a 15x60 binocular mounted on a tripod, as well. Enough!

Unlike Sancho, I spend no money on an auto. Public transportation costs me about $30 per month, and I do not often travel farther than where the metro takes me. So I can afford to buy the alphas or an occasional Laphroaig.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

As being the original stirrer of the whole thread can I ask you what drives you to do this? I just can't understand. Is it a collecting thing? An admiration for good workmanship? Being able to compare and contrast?

Hope it still allows you time to get out birding;)

Yes, OP we are hijacking the thread.

I think it's a mix of all three things.

I'm a bit of a collector not to excess but that is certainly a trait.

I do like well built equipment. I particularly like hardware (and software) that's built for a purpose, meets its specs, has good price/performance and is a pleasure to use. That sort of hits on multiple features of an product but particularly a product which becomes an extension of a person.

And I do like to compare, contrast and analyse. And to come up with tests.

I have a chemistry/physics PhD and a software and quality background and a bit of an engineering bent so I like to analyze the designs and come up with test plans to differentiate them.

I've also found this to be very educational. I started off with low priced but decent bins and spent time playing with them. That actually taught me a lot of what is good with them ($100 or £100 bins are just SO much better than a decade or two ago). But also one can see their weaknesses. The corners cut to hit a price point or to protect the next model up the product line.

I'd really like to get more technical info behind the designs and see how the compromises are made. In that sense I'm a bit of a MAKE magazine style hacker. Trying to understand what makes these products tick. And how to make best use of them.

So I may be a bit of an anorak but it keeps me entertained and perhaps is even useful to others who just want a buy a decent bin (or perhaps not buy the "wrong" bin).

Oh, and yes I do bird.

One of the things playing with the bins has taught me is that you only really get a good feel for them when you actually bird with for a whole day or perhaps multiple days. I've mentioned it another thread here where you get this "keep or send it back" feeling which is only partially based on the "objective" evaluations I do. It's a strong gut feeling.

I do send bins back (I like to buy from places that accept returns on full price bins or by second hand to keep the price down). And in those cases it was after birding with the bin that my testing said was "sorta OK" that something in my head said "the stray light is driving you mad when birding: send them back".

I do bird. Both looking for new lifers and watching bird behavior. I came back to birding after spending a bunch of time naked "ear" (and naked eye) birding from my third floor apartment that's surrounded by trees on two sides. Listening to Bewicks Wrens song got me interested in birdsong and switched me from birdwatching to birding. And required me to go get some decent bins. So first learn more about bins ... and more about birds too.

Scopes have a lot less personality and they don't get to show off their differences to the same extent because they're mostly used to look at things only in the center of the FOV, and because much of the time their performance is dictated more by atmospheric conditions than their optical design. Also, they're used on a tripod, so the ergonomics are less important to the function of the overall package.

--AP

There are so many more bins to choose from.

Part of this is that bins are a intimate tool. The bins are held not clamped to a tripod. They have to have good ergonomics to match your grip and your face; to balance the weight well and to get that weight just right.; to be carried in just the right way. I think some of the "primitive man" ideas mentioned above might have some bearing on this.

Bins are more useful too. Grab and go with no off the faffing about with setting up the tripod, leveling it, toting it around, finding the target "indirectly" rather than just moving the body.

I think part of this is the design constraint on scopes show how much poorer lower end scopes (of which I own only two!) are than higher end scopes (of which I own so far none). So it really does take a lot more effort and a lot more money to make a good scope than a good bin. So there are much fewer of them and they're a lot more expensive.

I think this is one reason I'm so surprised with how much alpha bins cost compared to alpha scopes. It seems there the better deal is with the scopes.

Kevin, there is not quite as much work to do with scopes as they are mostly porros.

We may yet see some new generation of scopes appear that have good roof prisms. I was very hesitant to explore the Nikon low end roof prism scopes.

The thing I really hate about scopes is the damn tripods. I have dropped one scope due to a loose screw.

POP,
I have found out through personal experience that when I write about "Bruichladdich" malt that I spell it first before I drink it!

I think I'll have a dram now. B :) ;)

Cheers,

Bob

I think you will find the double "D" only becomes obvious after the third glass or is it the fourth?

POP

Forget about the the Bins and Scopes. The optics I now prefer are filled with Single cask Glenspey, 56%, a revelationB :). You can keep your Islay muck!.
PS
Didn't mean it when I said "Forget about the the Bins and Scopes";), but did about Islay malts! Yuk!:smoke:

Forget about the the Bins and Scopes. The optics I now prefer are filled with Single cask Glenspey, 56%, a revelationB :). You can keep your Islay muck!.
Hmmm. Thanks for the heads up, Alan, Let´s see if Santa can stretch to some of that Glenspey. (I thought I´d found the Alpha, Top-end, Ultra HD/ED/FL Scotch with Laphroaig.....)

:-O ......

Don't exactly know where all that philosophical stuff came from!!!! ... Maybe something to do with a couple of half glasses of white wine earlier in the day?(doesn't drink normally). No hangover, and it was cheap...... :t: Jacob's Creek Chardonay (would that be cheap normally?), Asda selling random stuff off for £2 or £1 a bottle a few weeks back.....

(and enthrall a bit strong maybe, entertain maybe a bit better lol)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back