• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrel Proof feeders, your reviews and... (1 Viewer)

Until recently we where not avid bird feeders. We have become more avid feeders as the numbers of birds and different species visited the feeders we have.
But over the last month I have gotten to the point of either giving up on feeding birds or becoming mentally instable.

Squirrels are going to be my downfall. We really have no open space in our yard to set feeders so that squirrels would not be able to access the feeders from trees. Trees everywhere.

I am looking for members thoughts on specific squirrel proof feeders that they have had success with. I enjoy feeding Cardinal’s, Finch’s, Titmouse's, Chickadee's, Indigo’s, sparrows, Dove's, Junco’s and such. Yellow Finches are the only birds that have free will to the Niger sock feeder.
I have read some material on the following feeders and trying to narrow down what might be the most effective squirrel proof feeder. Most are listed here:
http://backyardbirdwatcher.safeshopper.com/15/cat15.htm?750

My list is as follows:
Aspects Roller Feeder
The Absolute II Double Sided
Droll Yankee Tipper
Droll Yankee Whipper
Droll Yankee Flipper
Droll Yankee Dipper
Vari-Craft Bouncer
Squirrel Buster Plus

It has gotten so bad that yesterday morning a squirrel was knocking on the back door for me to feed him. He was on the back porch looking around and scratching on door, I swear.

I know now, I will never be squirrel free (trapped and relocated 23 squirrels over 5 miles from home). I just thought I could relocate my squirrels and have a month squirrel free until the neighboring ones move in. Many websites said this was an option with the understanding that others would move in the area, but seeing 3-4 everyday all day long is reaching deep into my pocket to feed them and not the birds. If they would just eat like birds and not be such pigs I would happily support them. They just eat and eat and eat!

Please help, I have even considered the:
Wild Bills Electric

trapped and relocated 23 squirrels over 5 miles from home
I've no love for tree rats and shoot them on sight. I have now placed all of my feeders behind a mesh that the squirrels can not get through. I have to feed the larger birds via a squirrel proof bird table.

On this forum, several lines down there is a thread called: What birdfeeders do you have? On response 22, I included a picture of a feeder I built several years ago which has been very sucessfull in keeping the squirrels in check. Note the comments on response 23 indicating a similar feeder is being marketed.

If you can't keep the squirrels from getting to the feeders, you must then keep them from getting at the food. They will keep trying but give up soon.
Good luck!

Hi thunderbolt.

I have resorted to all squirrel proof feeders with the exception of 2 which I keep safflower seed in as the squirrels do not care for safflower. Cardinals, titmouse, house finches, chicadees, nuthatches all eat the safflower willingly The main squirrel proof feeders I use are the tubes within the cage type. Pricey, but they do the trick. The one squirrel proof feeder on the website you listed that I would advise against is the "Squirrel be gone" feeder". I went through 2 of them. The springs are not heavy enough and the plastic is thinner and the squirrels are able to chew right through the plastic. Even though they are less expensive, they do not fair well.

Yes, because birds have no mucous membranes in the mouth to be sensitive to the spice, but squirrels do.

BTW, shooting squirrels is not an option in most US municipalities because of the proximity of other residences. In AZ, you can't use anything but airguns (BB, pellet) if there is any dwelling less than 1/4 mile away, and in some areas even those are prohibited.

Katy Penland said:
Yes, because birds have no mucous membranes in the mouth to be sensitive to the spice, but squirrels do.

BTW, shooting squirrels is not an option in most US municipalities because of the proximity of other residences. In AZ, you can't use anything but airguns (BB, pellet) if there is any dwelling less than 1/4 mile away, and in some areas even those are prohibited.

I have to somewhat disagrre on chili powder. A few years back I tried some I bought at Wally-World and it did not work. So with that I more or less stopped feeding birds. (squirrels-1 me-0) But I must say in doing research I think I may have not used enough. I recall reading the amount you use per pint of seed and it was a lot more than I would have thought of using.

I have went as so far as buying a multi-pump pellet gun. The thinking was that I could hurt them but not kill them and they would go away. I never opened the box because I did not want the possiblity of killing one with the pellet gun. Instead I opted to chatching them but they just keep coming (its like an army of them) so I am considering the pellet gun and this it may be a fight to the death.

daltonjj said:
On this forum, several lines down there is a thread called: What birdfeeders do you have? On response 22, I included a picture of a feeder I built several years ago which has been very sucessfull in keeping the squirrels in check. Note the comments on response 23 indicating a similar feeder is being marketed.

If you can't keep the squirrels from getting to the feeders, you must then keep them from getting at the food. They will keep trying but give up soon.
Good luck!

The one you had pictured is something like the The Absolute II Double Sided I was looking at. When looking at the Absolute II I figured the squirrles would just hang off the roof and feed that way. I thought getting a tube type feeded that works on the same princaple of the Absolute II and yours might be effective but in researching about squirrels most are approx 18" and seems most feeders of that type are 21"-24" long so if adding the strechedout legs of a squirrel not sure if those would be effective.

Thanks for the info.

KCFoggin said:
The one squirrel proof feeder on the website you listed that I would advise against is the "Squirrel be gone" feeder". I went through 2 of them.

I will say that the Duncraft Pavillion Platform Bird Feeder is a complete waste of $50 as a squirrel proof feeder. I have one and they sit on untill all feed is gone. They couple of hours that I may get witout squirrles around the cards and blue jays enjoy it.

I have to object to the idea of shooting squirrels. Red Squirrels are native to my area and have every right to be protected that the birds have. The same thing can be said for the Gray Squirrels in their native habitat. Introduced spoecies are, of course, a whole other discussion. We have to stop thinking that because something is in our way we can simply eliminate it. I understand the frustration but shooting is not the answer. I live trapped 17 of the little dears one year, they were even living in the walls of the house. After a few years of trapping and removing, the squirrels seem to have left. Now I have several Chipmonks, something that I had not seen here previously. I don't know if there is a connection between the arrival of the chipmonks and the departure of the squirrels or whether it is just coincidence. I have two squirrel proof feeder that have worked well. They are both of the type that is weight sensitive so that even though squirrels can get on them, their weight closes the feeder. The feeding ports of both feeders are metal so the risk of chewing is reduced. I can't tell you the brands offhand but will look the next time that I go out. They were expensive!

snowyowl said:
...snip... I can't tell you the brands offhand but will look the next time that I go out. They were expensive!

Snowy Owl,
If it came down to it I do not think I could kill the squirrels, I am not a hunter and I do not eat squirrel. If I had no kuams (spelling) about killing squirrels I would not have posted the post in my search for an effective squirrel proof feeder, I would just shoot them.

With all the squirrels we have, we also have 2 regular chipmunks and 2 more that come about half as much as the 2 regulars. At times they are aggressive toward the squirrels. Maybe if I had 8-10 of them they would help me control the squirrels eating habits. We now have a regular bunny that comes in the late afternoon to forage. Also today I seen a glimpse of a bird that I have not seen yet and I want this kind-a-of action to continue.

I guess I will continue to research for effective squirrel proof feeder and relocate the squirrels to a point that I can get a handle on the hoggish eating habits.

As you said "they are expensive". I have learned that with the Duncraft Pavilion Platform Bird Feeder being marketed as squirrel proof. I am just trying to tap into the fast experience of members here and not make the mistake in a poor choice of a squirrel proof feeder. Blame me? Please let me know brand you have and your opinion on how effective they are.
Thanks.

Thunderbolt said:
Please help, I have even considered the:
Wild Bills Electric

I used to work in a store that sold these and a number of other 'squirrel proof' feeders. Invariably, inevitably, I watched people buy countless sqirrel proof feeders to end up resorting to Wild Bills. It works. Everyone I know who has ever had one says the squirrels get shocked once and never return. The birds can't make the connection to get the shock and, from personal testing experience, the shock is only mildly more annoying than a carpet shock, not that I ever enjoyed testing it.
I also found that most people would let the battery run out, and never replace it again. Or if they did, it was only once a year when there was an influx of young squirrels.
I don't know what, if any, the lasting effects on the squirrels are, but from what I have heard from every person who owns one, the squirrels stay away from it...and many people take up putting out a feeder just for the fuzzy guys. It isn't something I really advocate, but I know that it works the best out of all of them. And it is HUGE.

Best of Luck,
Elizabeth

birdpotter said:
Invariably, inevitably, I watched people buy countless sqirrel proof feeders to end up resorting to Wild Bills. Best of Luck,
Elizabeth

Thanks, I will have thought that maybe it might be effective but I am trying to avoid being one of those people that buy countless squirrel proof feeders that claim. I am just trying to find the most effective one based on the experience of other people such as you.

Wild Bill's is quite expensive but I guess that is a price you have to pay for not wanting squirrels.

Just a note as I am new to the hobby of birrding. feed birds for yeras but it stoped there. We recently put out a bath and birds still contuine to drink out of the reain gutter. May have 2 birds that drank water. Well today we saw a Eastern Blue bird taking a bath and it was such a joy to see the all the splashing water and the prining in a limb afterwards. |:d|

Thanks for the great info.

I thought that you might find this picture of one of my squirrel proof feeders interesting. I have to admit that the manufacturer didn't say that it was proof against Eastern Chipmonks.
In all seriousness, I can adjust the feeder to shut out even light chipmonks. This was the first time I had seen one on any of the feeders.

Attachments

• DSCN6981.1.JPG
    DSCN6981.1.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 569
Hi Guys
On the subject of squirrel defences.
I am a proffessional wildlife photographer and live in glorious north Wales.Forget standard bird feeders and try a more creative and more rewarding method-namely a freestanding custom made bird table.
The table is 4.5ft high made with a central fence post covered with a conventional plastic pipe.The top is made from 1 inch ply and measures 2ft sq.The base is constructed as a normal bird table ie diagonal supports fixed to 2ft sq ply.
You simply place onto the top dead wood or small logs etc with plenty of nuts seeds
or food of choice.This idea attracts many birds who prefer natural props,no squirrels and a far better viewing area for taking great pics or just watching.
You can buy an upright camping changing unit as a hide and position it only 6ft away.
After a few hours your birds will feel relaxed about the whol set-up and you can enjoy
squirrel free close up viewing/photos for ever more.

Last edited:
hi...came across this about squirrel proofing feeders and saw the bird feeder list above. I've used the roller-feeder for over 2 years now and so far no squirrels or starlings in mine, it's hanging right inside my linden tree where so many of my past feeders wouldn’t work…birds like the location much better than in the open

purchased it from the original maker at this link http://www.rollerfeeder.com/ they add new models occasionally and seem to be focused on design rather than marketing like so many. it uses a mechanical method and weight of the squirrel to spin, rather ingenious

Good luck p96

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back