• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about my new Zeiss Victory binocs (1 Viewer)

tpcollins

I've been a Swarovski fan for the past 15 years but I got fed up with the short eye relief on my 8x32 ELs. Sold them and got a new pair of Victory 8x42 FL T* - the eye relief is fantastic. I don't have my ELs to go back and compare but the new Zeiss seem to have more "travel while in focus" (not sure exactly how to explain it correctly - depth of field maybe). Whereas with my ELs, once they were focused on a subject, it took very little travel either way of the focus wheel to knock it back out of focus.

Am I correct in what I'm seeing with my Zeiss or is it just new binocular excitement? Thanks.

Depth of field is not supposed to depend on anything but power. But apparent depth of field does. Most of us would rand different pairs of the same power in the same order from best to worst.

Worst ever in my hand: Bushnell 10x28. Bad idea, went back the next day.

I've been a Swarovski fan for the past 15 years but I got fed up with the short eye relief on my 8x32 ELs. Sold them and got a new pair of Victory 8x42 FL T* - the eye relief is fantastic. I don't have my ELs to go back and compare but the new Zeiss seem to have more "travel while in focus" (not sure exactly how to explain it correctly - depth of field maybe). Whereas with my ELs, once they were focused on a subject, it took very little travel either way of the focus wheel to knock it back out of focus.

Am I correct in what I'm seeing with my Zeiss or is it just new binocular excitement? Thanks.

Correct. Congratulations on moving up to Zeiss.

Unless there was something wrong w/your 8x32 EL, I think it is either new bin excitement or that the focus ratio and knob diameter of the FL is a better match to your preferences (creating the illusion of less defocus sensitivity). Whatever the cause, no matter, enjoy your happiness!

--AP

TP,
For all its attributes, DOF does not seem like one of the 8x42 FL's to me. Not to argue apparent vs mathematical DOF, or compare with other 8x42s, only, when out birding I am continually tweaking the focus.

This may sound bad. I have a 7x50 that I hardly have to focus at all, and when it was my only binocular, I would have had a hard time believing living with something like this could be other than annoying.

But, the genius of Zeiss's design is that the focus knob is so fluid, sensitive, and well placed, that I have gotten to where I practically "think" it into focus for every little change in viewing distance. Lord knows, the view is so sharp when well focused, it's worth the trouble.

So, I think either you are just noticing that 8x42s are better than 8x32s in this regard, or are still delirious. You've gone "Zeiss Simple", man. I am not going to pay attention to any more of your comments until you get it together to complain about something, proving you are rational again.
Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back