• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Photo Editing Software (1 Viewer)

Bird_Enthusiast

I'm currently looking to buy in the near future photo editing software for either Mac or Windows based machines. I've had experience with C2 Photoshop a long time ago, but I am looking for something a little cheaper.

I'm primarily concerned with re-sizing (mostly for posting pictures in the gallery of the forum), stamping my pictures with some sort of trademark, and minor editing.

Hope to hear from you soon!

B :)

Photoshop Elements is what I've always used & am quite satisfied with though it might be overkill for your needs. The earlier versions can be acquired quite cheaply, I believe. I'm currently using v.6--not the latest--which like the other more recent versions includes a useful organizer as well as all the editing tools a non-professional is ever likely to need.

Photoshop Elements is what I've always used & am quite satisfied with though it might be overkill for your needs. The earlier versions can be acquired quite cheaply, I believe. I'm currently using v.6--not the latest--which like the other more recent versions includes a useful organizer as well as all the editing tools a non-professional is ever likely to need.

I've heard much about it.
How similar is it to Photoshop?

If you just want to resize, add text and do basic editing to whole images then Faststone is great.

If you want to do more, a whole lot more, then you could try The Gimp.

Both are free.

hi I use a mac, it comes with IPhoto which is fairly basic it will do cropping and colour/ management etc. The natural upgrade to this is Aperture which does a lot more and is about 50 pounds. I use elements which is very good, the up market jobbie is Lightroom 4 which is obviously more expensive. And further up the rung is photoshop 5/6 I believe. But Most of the current editions of most software programmes can be downloaded on a months trial for free. it all depends on how far your willing to go in image manipulation. Kind regards. Mike

Last edited:
I'm currently looking to buy in the near future photo editing software for either Mac or Windows based machines. I've had experience with C2 Photoshop a long time ago, but I am looking for something a little cheaper.

I'm primarily concerned with re-sizing (mostly for posting pictures in the gallery of the forum), stamping my pictures with some sort of trademark, and minor editing.

Hope to hear from you soon!

B :)

If you want cheap, everything you mention and much more can be done with free programs such as the already mentioned Picasa or Photofiltre (just google to find download sites). You might try one of those and see if they meet your needs before purchasing something.

Jim

Last edited:
Does ACDSee allow you to remove unwanted items from images e.g. branches sticking out from behind a bird, or telephone wires in the background?

And is anyone using PhotoDirector: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/photodirector/overview_en_GB.html?&r=1? Any comments or reviews on either would be great.

I currently use Canon Digital Photo Professional which is not too bad, but am looking for an impressive RAW converter with the ability to do a bit more in the way of editing now. I'm not willing to spend the money on full PhotoShop, though - and although I hear good things about LightRoom, I don't think it offers the editing features I want, either?

I had to test this because I cannot remember last time I really wanted to remove a branch or similar (it is not allowed on pictures in the Birdforum competitions for example). However, the answer is yes, using ACDSee I just removed the letter S from the picture of this field guide ;)

Niels

Attachments

• clone.JPG
    clone.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 185
I had to test this because I cannot remember last time I really wanted to remove a branch or similar (it is not allowed on pictures in the Birdforum competitions for example). However, the answer is yes, using ACDSee I just removed the letter S from the picture of this field guide ;)

Niels

Nice one, thanks for checking. "No bird photos were harmed in the making of this image"!

I use Adobe Lightroom and find it much easier to use than photoshop

have to say I find the opposite, Lightroom has me baffled, I just can't seem to get to grips with the interface whereas Camera Raw in Photoshop does 90% of the job before the image is even opened.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back