• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Record recording programs (1 Viewer)

TheThing

Birder
I have always used the BTO Birdtrack system for recording my findings. I'm finding their ways a little off putting of late though.

I will continue to record on BirdTrack, as I'm sure the data is valuable, but are there any other programs for recording finds etc? I would prefer it to be completely free please! If it has an Android app as well, so much the better.

Jeff's database which is free and available from the link is pretty good. You can do all sorts of things with the data you input. It needs Microsoft Access but if you haven't got it you can download a runtime version from the same link. I've got 30 years of records in this program and am totally happy with it.

http://www.brandonbirding.co.uk/download.asp

Threads about listing software repeat and repeat still around under new titles. I don't have ipad or iphone and use Microsoft Access bought in 2002. This is very popular format, you can develop (customize) database infinitely. Even data from software dedicated to birds could be transferred to more universal Access format.
Here is sample template, generating list of species seen in given period, location:
http://darekk.com/db/birds/ (screen capture attached)
This is simple template, because it is aimed to show how it works. But It could be developed very easily, added search form for example. At this moment you can filter data using form called datasheet. This is such equivalent of search form.

And mentined in one of previous messages
Jeffs' Birding Database
for Access too.

Here are written down (mostly from this forum) several links to websites with programs dedicated to birds, maybe except BirdJournal and avisys for iphone or ipad (I don't have):

BirdJournal
Birdwatcher's Diary

MapMate
Birder
Wildlife Recorder
avisys
birdcountr
BlueBill Mobile
Twitcher
Dutch Bird Alerts

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, although practicaly all of the links listed are for iPhones; cost or; are not UK based/lists.

To recap, I'm looking for free; UK based/lists lists lists and; if applicable, for the Android platform.

BlueBill looks good though, thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back