• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory FL 8x32 - Discloured Green Rubber Armour (1 Viewer)

Peak Birder

I have just picked up a pair of 4 year old Zeiss Victory FL 8x30's. I am really impressed with them and I prefer the view (not by much) to my Swaro 8x32ELs.
My only complaint is that where the objective covers have been attached to the binoculars the colour seems to of leached from the black objective covers onto the green armouring and it will not budge!
Is this a known problem and is there a solution?
Thanks for your suggestions. ;)

I hope you got them for a good price, but I'd just enjoy the view. I agree the Zeiss are great. I have a green pair of 10x's. No color bleeding, but I haven't really looked for it either. It's the kind of thing you look for in a new purchase--at least that's true for me. I also prefer them to the Swaros. Enjoy!

I've heard of this before, but I doubt there is an easy fix if it really is a matter of leaching. I'm surprised that the armor has enough plasticizers and mobile colorants to allow for color migration in the manner that is often seen with softer plastics (e.g. plastic worms used in fishing). I wonder then whether it might be just a surface stain. Have you tried cleaning the bin and the eyecups with Armorall or a similar plastic cleaner? I think auto parts shops have a variety of products to clean plastic surfaces in auto interiors that might be worth a try.

--AP

I always do the same thing with high-end binoculars: call customer service and see what they will do. Zeiss may have used a plastic that should be replaced with a newer type. That's what the lifetime transferable warranty is all about. :smoke:

I have just picked up a pair of 4 year old Zeiss Victory FL 8x30's. I am really impressed with them and I prefer the view (not by much) to my Swaro 8x32ELs.
My only complaint is that where the objective covers have been attached to the binoculars the colour seems to of leached from the black objective covers onto the green armouring and it will not budge!
Thanks for your suggestions. ;)

hello peakbirder,
i hope to aquire a new 8x32FL soon, i like the green armour, but having read about your problem i think i will be sticking to black...:eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back