• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon s3is - so far so good (1 Viewer)

chris w

For years I've been frustrated that I either had to carry the weight of my SLR with its lenses, which has given me some great photos but meant I missed out on the spur of the moment shots, or a smaller camera that I could carry in my pocket but didn't give the me quality or sufficent zoom power.

Well the other day I bought a Canon s3is and have been very pleased with the results so far. Its small enough to fit into my pocket and it's12x zoom and antishake compensation really does seem to deliver the best of both worlds. The other day I was up on Dartmoor and two Dartford Warblers suddenly appeared in the ferns, singing to each other. about 15 feet away. I was able to point and shoot with the continual shot and later found I had some really nice, full frontal, images.

Has anybody tried the 1.5 teleconverter? I would be interested to know the quality of the photos it delivers and also whether it makes the camera too bulky to carry around for everyday shots.

I know some people wont feel anything but an SLR will give them what they want but I have been most impressed so far.

My other half bought the S3 a couple of weeks ago. As you say its a very versitile camera, lightweight, useful zoom and good optics.
What we have also discovered is the amazing macro abilities.
Enclosed is a crop of a clouded yellow she took during the week showing just how well the S3 performs close up

Attachments

• clouded yellow.jpg
    clouded yellow.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 689
The macro's looks really impressive Bob as does the example of the teleconverter. I think I'm giong to take a chance and try it and will let you know how I find it. Next thing is to source it and the lens adapter as none of the shops I've tried stock them.

chris w said:
The macro's looks really impressive Bob as does the example of the teleconverter. I think I'm giong to take a chance and try it and will let you know how I find it. Next thing is to source it and the lens adapter as none of the shops I've tried stock them.

I've just ordeded the S3 (yesterday), and was wondering re: teleconverters, did you get the 1.5x?

My choice is either go with the 1.5x (c.£80) or the Raynox 2.2x (c.£130).

Anyone tried/trying either of these.

Cheers

Jeff

Note that the Canon teleconverter does not work on its own. You also need the lens adapter [size=-1]LAH-DC20. Don't know about the Raynox.
[/size]

Alastair Rae said:
Note that the Canon teleconverter does not work on its own. You also need the lens adapter [size=-1]LAH-DC20. Don't know about the Raynox.
[/size]

Yep, Cheers, i think it's the same adapter for both teleconverters and it's c.£25-£30.

I've owned the S2 IS for just over a year now, and bought the teleconverter for that. The power of the zoom with it is incredible, but I find the subject has to be very central or you will suffer from slight blurring or fringing (I'm not technical!).

To be honest, now I tend to only use it when absolutely necessary, as the normal zoom is adequate, and usually gets a better image. But for about £100 for the lens and adapter, it's hardly a fortune.

It does make the camera easier to hold though, as the fixed lens can be rested on things or supported easier than the standard camera.

How are the pics in general from the S3? I find that in most cases, the pics from mine (when compared to DSLR shots) are a little soft. This is the main reason why I'm considering getting a 400D in the new year.

Cheers for the info, i think i've now rules out the 2.2x, so it's whether to go with the 1.5 (canon), 1.54 (raynox) or 1.7 (tcon) :)

I took the S2 to Cyprus this spring. I also took my 10D with 100-400 IS lens. Both worked very well (I was primarily there for the birds). Anyway, due to all the "craziness" these past few weeks with airline "carry on rules" changing every day I would only take the S2 (or S3) with me when I travel, as that camera wasn't even looked at during security searches. On the other hand, the 10D with the 100-400 drew too much attention. (I hate it when they just bang things on the counter when they can't find anything wrong!)

If you are going to get a teleconverter for you S3, I think it is generally agreed that the Olympus TCON 17 and the Sony 1758 are better optically than the canon converter (I slightly prefer the Sony). They also give you a little more reach. They may need a step up ring (55-58 mm) to fit to the canon adapter, however.

The Sony 1758 (silver body) may have been discontinued. B&H Photo list a black bodied item with a slightly different part number. Can you please be more specific on which 1758 you recommend.

jeff said:

Hi Jeff,
I've been using the S2 with the Raynox 1.54 teleconverter and Lensmate adapter for several months now, it's not a bad converter but there is some CA with it, mainly in high edge contrast areas.

Some pics below might give you something to compare others with.

regards

John

Attachments

• great-tit-s2.jpg
    great-tit-s2.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 727
  • song-thrush-s2.jpg
    song-thrush-s2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 382
  • starling-s2.jpg
    starling-s2.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 379
Okay I'm probably going to sound stupid here but...how does the teleconvertor work and attach onto the camera? I have the Canon S2 IS and the suggestion of getting a converter has recently came up. Just want to know what I would need and how to put it all together.

Silvershark said:
Okay I'm probably going to sound stupid here but...how does the teleconvertor work and attach onto the camera? I have the Canon S2 IS and the suggestion of getting a converter has recently came up. Just want to know what I would need and how to put it all together.
You need the LAH-DC20 adapter (costs about $20-30), which screws into the body of the camera and surrounds the lens, like a barrel. The teleconverter then screws into the front of the adapter, thus sitting directly in front of the lens.

Unlike the teleconverters for SLRs (digital and film), which sit BETWEEN the camera and the detachable lens, teleconverters as used on the S2 and S3 that sit in front of the lens do NOT decrease the amount of light sent to the camera. At least this is true for the Olympus TCON-17, a very popular one used for super-zooms (you'd also need a 58-55mm step DOWN ring to use the TCON-17 with the S2 or S3.)

john-henry said:
Hi Jeff,
I've been using the S2 with the Raynox 1.54 teleconverter and Lensmate adapter for several months now, it's not a bad converter but there is some CA with it, mainly in high edge contrast areas.

regards

John

John,

Thanks for the info and pictures, in the end i decided to go with the Sony 1758 (1.7x) after reading various discussions on other forums.
I'll let you know how i get on when it arrives.

Cheers

Jeff

john-henry said:
Hi Jeff,

regards

John

Nice pictures John. I too have an S2 and am thinking about getting this combination, just not enough reach as it is. Did you buy yours from lensmate in the US? Their prices seem pretty good. Were there any delivery or customs problems?

RAH said:
You need the LAH-DC20 adapter (costs about $20-30), which screws into the body of the camera and surrounds the lens, like a barrel. The teleconverter then screws into the front of the adapter, thus sitting directly in front of the lens.

Unlike the teleconverters for SLRs (digital and film), which sit BETWEEN the camera and the detachable lens, teleconverters as used on the S2 and S3 that sit in front of the lens do NOT decrease the amount of light sent to the camera. At least this is true for the Olympus TCON-17, a very popular one used for super-zooms (you'd also need a 58-55mm step DOWN ring to use the TCON-17 with the S2 or S3.)

Thanks o:) I think I might get myself a teleconverter, want something with a bit more zoom for distant birds. I'll probably go for the Sony DH1758 because this seems to be the most recommended one.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back