• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arthur Morris 1D III test shots (1 Viewer)

seamons

I was just wondering if anyone had a chance to see the test shots in the Arthur Morris Bulletin before they were pulled & what was the verdict? They included some high ISO shots.

I didn't, but Art's comments (in the absence of the pictures he's referring to!) are very encouraging...

Art Morris said:
Both Robert O’Toole and I agreed that the noise in this and other ISO 3200 images from the Mark III was comparable to ISO 400 in the 1Ds MII and the MII 1DN. Virtually noise-free images at ISO 3200 will open up new worlds to nature photographers.

Blimey!

Last edited:
seamons said:
I was just wondering if anyone had a chance to see the test shots in the Arthur Morris Bulletin before they were pulled & what was the verdict? They included some high ISO shots.

I didn't realise that they had been pulled, I subscribe to his bulletins so I've still got the images. He posted images of a Alligator eating a Pelican, one taken at ISO 3200 and the second at ISO 6400. I can tell you they are incredible if those settings are correct. If I had to hazard a guess I would have said ISO 400.

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
To which I can only add hell's flames!

And this is a pre-production model. OK, these pictures are presumably downsized rather than at 100%, but even so they're amazing.

WOW! I kinda wish I hadn't seen that... those are amazing results for such high ISO. As someone who can't afford to spend £3k on a camera I just hope that the next generation of entry level Canon's inherit this performance...

me said:
well it's big and heavy, but then again, I use the grip plus two batteries on my 30D so there's probably not that much difference...

Just weighed my camera/grip. The difference is about 2 ounces!

Why am I torturing myself???

;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
Pete, I know how you feel.

I can't afford it either (especially as I'm still pulling together the wherewithal for the 300mm f/2.8 IS) but a few times in the last day or two I've found myself thinking things like "well it's big and heavy, but then again, I use the grip plus two batteries on my 30D so there's probably not that much difference...

I'm in trouble, aren't I?

;)

looks like the price is already coming down...

http://www.rgb-tech.co.uk/product/1423

GET ONE you know you want one and need one and wont be happy untill you get one just do it the devorce will soon be a past memmory but the mk3 will live for age's :)
im getting one thats for sure .
Rob

Well it looks like the new mkIII will arrive at around the price of the old MkII n version. It is certainly a much better spec camera for the same money. Glad I didn't buy a IIn recently when the prices fell. From the images and comments I've seen it looks like a camera made for low light conditions, which is the UK market by another definition.

Last edited:
1D Mark 3

Austin Thomas said:
Well it looks like the new mkIII will arrive at around the price of the old MkII n version. It is certainly a much better spec camera for the same money. Glad I didn't buy a IIn recently when the prices fell. From the images and comments I've seen it looks like a camera made for low light conditions, which is the UK market by another definition.

Okay I am probably offering a bias opinion as I have during the last 2 years upgraded from a 1D Mark 2 to an N, and then recently a 1Ds.
But, whilst I would take seriously the comments by Art Morris about noise levels, I would also point out that Art is a great photographer,and a demon in photoshop. I have is PDF "Birds as Art", and this includes shots taken with a 1D2 an N, and a 1Ds, non of them appear to show much noise!! I'm not doubting there will be improvement, I have been pretty impressed with the 1Ds compared with the N, I would just point out that sometimes these improvements can be over played. Time will tell, and time will tell whether I lose some more money!

I still think the best improvement for pound notes I have seen from the gear I have upgraded is my 500mm F4. If you are fortunate enough to buy both fine, if you have only have 3-4K to spend and you shoot birds the lens is still the better investment.

Ta Chris

the Art Morris images posted with with the high ISO values had all been put through a noise reduction programme according to the write up so they are hardly an example of what the camera is capable of are they? as noted above with a good knowledge of darkroom techniques you can make a lot of images look a lot better--just look at Kit Day's stuff with a 20D----

graham catley said:
the Art Morris images posted with with the high ISO values had all been put through a noise reduction programme according to the write up so they are hardly an example of what the camera is capable of are they? as noted above with a good knowledge of darkroom techniques you can make a lot of images look a lot better--just look at Kit Day's stuff with a 20D----
I wondered why my photos aren't as good as everybodyy else

graham catley said:
Hi Graham,

to me the point is that it really doesn't matter how good someone is in PP, they'd be hard pushed to get a result with anything like as much detail from any other camera at 3200 or 6400 ISO.

To get something that looks this detailed from such a high ISO/low light shot impresses the hell out of me even given (in fact, especially given) the fact that a fair bit NR has been applied.

seamons said:
I was wondering if anyone has seen a review of the 1D III yet, online or in any of the magazines. Cheers, J

I assume you've checked out the "Imaging Resource" or similar? The URL below takes you to a preview but otherwise interesting article with some files to download.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E1DMK3/E1DMK3A.HTM

I've made some very impressive prints from their standard still-life test subject. Having bought my 5D very early, and at a high price, I'm wondering how long I can delay getting a MkIII! I'm attracted by the highlight protection feature, and the additional focus points which should improve tracking of birds in flight. The 10fps is probably too high for me. My 30D's 5fps seems about right. (The 5D's 3fps is too slow.)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back