• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Grey Herons roost together? Camargue (1 Viewer)

George Edwards

Nom de plume
Saw a fantastic sight in the Camargue yesterday at dusk from the car. Many hundreds of what I took to be grey herons flying somewhere in long lines, clouds and Vs. Assumed they would be flying to a roost, but didn't know Grey Herons roosted together as I usually see them on their own. It was difficult to make out from the moving vehicle with the bins, but I thought they had the right colouring and shape for grey heron, or purple heron I suppose. Is this typical for Grey Heron?

Have to say doesn't sound like Grey Herons to me- I've never seen such flocks anywhere in the world. Without a photo we'll never be sure what you did see.

You're making me regret not getting my companion driver to pull over now…! They were heading south - if cranes (which I did consider, but I didn't think there would be any there at this time of year) would they have been migrating? We weren't that far from the sea - only about 20 or 30 km probably - so they would have to hook right at some point, if going via Gibraltar to Africa.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back