• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

This is just a bit of detective work but looking on Google earth for a South facing (no shadow from the bird) blue container in Easington I found what looks like one at or near Low Farm off High St. The buildings immediately West of the football field. Just a guess.

It was spotted on te 12th, it was around all day in Easington on private land.

rodney1, i can see you're on line is there any chance you can give us some more information?
I am fully aware that if the private land is the gas terminal then there can be no access what so ever, or are you being vague because the bird is still there?

We had a trip to Scar House Res.at the top of nidderdale yesterday,good numbers of Common Buzzards around in the dale but what surprised us was the number of House Martins still feeding young on the nest.Around the tower on the dam we counted at least 8 nests with at least 2 young per nest,even presuming these are 2nd or maybe 3rd broods is it a late date for these birds?.At the same time there was good numbers of Swallows flying high through the dale no doubt heading South.

Came across a swallow's nest last week that still had young in it. Only noticed it (a few feet away) when the adults whizzed past my head to feed them.

Came across a swallow's nest last week that still had young in it. Only noticed it (a few feet away) when the adults whizzed past my head to feed them.

The House Martins on my house are still in the nest. Infact they are early compared to recent years. This is the second brood and apart from one that fell out of the nest and died (second brood) both broods have been successful.

I have known them still in the nest into October.

I can monitor the activity from the droppings! They are at the stage at the moment where they use the nest at night, but then follow the parenta around in the day learning the ropes, returning from time to time - again perhaps a bit of training going on.

I don't suppose it's possible that the whole Roller thing could be a hoax? That video could have been taken anywhere in the world. Maybe someone somewhere is having a laugh at birders who frequent the Spurn area. Just a thought from someone who questions everything he sees.

Andy this Roller business is starting to smell a bit. Can't understand why the finder can't just name the site, particularly if it is the Gas Terminal. I've dealt with crackpots before who send in photos claiming. Sure they might be photos and video but they could have come from anywhere. Is unwillingness to discuss the record in any great detail is ver suspicious and what's with the dates 11th or 12th???

Andy this Roller business is starting to smell a bit. Can't understand why the finder can't just name the site, particularly if it is the Gas Terminal. I've dealt with crackpots before who send in photos claiming. Sure they might be photos and video but they could have come from anywhere. Is unwillingness to discuss the record in any great detail is ver suspicious and what's with the dates 11th or 12th???

Hi Mark, we have all got our doubts as we can't see where the stones the bird is sat on or the container, but it is possible that it may be in the gas site out of view, the photos are dated and it sounds like the guys are non birding gas site workers and are doing an interview on bbc look north at lunchtime today, but think it will be shown on the east yorks/lincs version, we will have to wait and see!
Andy

Up until Sunday we didnt even know what a Roller was, the date was the 12th, I don't even know where that confusion came from,unless the date was incorrect on the camera, this can be confirmed by getting in touch with the Spurn observatory, the reason it was taken of You Tube is because after I stated it was on private land people started looking on google earth, looking for a blue container. This was a GENUINE sighting, and reported for the benefit of bird watchers and no other reason, but I'm afraid the exact location cannot be dislosed. If Andy wants to speak to me in private I am happy to do so.

Slightly less exciting than a roller but still significant!... four Yellow-legged Gulls (adult, 2nd winter and 2 x 1st winter) in Redmires gull roost last night.

Rodney1
I suggest you send Andy a private mail with your number so he can ring you to chat about this.
Andy is the recorder for Spurn we publish a report each year and he'll want to put some notes in there about this occurrence.
Why do you suggest the confusion over date can be confirmed by contacting the observatory? I'm a committee member and have spoken to others none of whom know anymore than is on here!

You'll have to excuse any suggestion of a hoax, people have tried it before. I've seen the email that was sent to Geoff Dobbs (he's my lodger) and when someone suggests straight away in an email that the date on the camera proves the timing of a sighting we smell a rat. Normally it is the last thing someone thinks of when trying to inform people of a rare bird, unless they are trying to pull a hoax.
Obviously I have also seen the images sent with that email and the date is 11/9 at 02.02 so unless the lights were very bright it's not a particularly clever hoax! So I believe the record it's just a shame you can't be a little more forthcoming with details.

Cheers
Garry

Up until Sunday we didnt even know what a Roller was, the date was the 12th, I don't even know where that confusion came from,unless the date was incorrect on the camera, this can be confirmed by getting in touch with the Spurn observatory, the reason it was taken of You Tube is because after I stated it was on private land people started looking on google earth, looking for a blue container. This was a GENUINE sighting, and reported for the benefit of bird watchers and no other reason, but I'm afraid the exact location cannot be dislosed. If Andy wants to speak to me in private I am happy to do so.

Hi Rodney1, as Garry says its a very important record the Spurn area with only one record previously. It is also a major national rarity and we would just like the
record proven. If you could personal message me or email me, we would really like to use your photos for our website and our report.
look forward to hearing from you
Andy Roadhouse

Rodney1
I suggest you send Andy a private mail with your number so he can ring you to chat about this.
Andy is the recorder for Spurn we publish a report each year and he'll want to put some notes in there about this occurrence.
Why do you suggest the confusion over date can be confirmed by contacting the observatory? I'm a committee member and have spoken to others none of whom know anymore than is on here!

You'll have to excuse any suggestion of a hoax, people have tried it before. I've seen the email that was sent to Geoff Dobbs (he's my lodger) and when someone suggests straight away in an email that the date on the camera proves the timing of a sighting we smell a rat. Normally it is the last thing someone thinks of when trying to inform people of a rare bird, unless they are trying to pull a hoax.
Obviously I have also seen the images sent with that email and the date is 11/9 at 02.02 so unless the lights were very bright it's not a particularly clever hoax! So I believe the record it's just a shame you can't be a little more forthcoming with details.

Cheers
Garry

the email was sent to Geoff Dobbs, I thought he was part of the observatory. as for the camera time and date, thats irrelevant, as you can clearly see it was daytme, we saw it on sunday, mid afternoon, if you want to continue thinking its a hoax thas fine by us.

Hi Rodney1, as Garry says its a very important record the Spurn area with only one record previously. It is also a major national rarity and we would just like the
record proven. If you could personal message me or email me, we would really like to use your photos for our website and our report.
look forward to hearing from you
Andy Roadhouse

how do I contact you privately?

how do I contact you privately?

Hi Rodney - welcome to Birdforum.

If you find Andy's post and click on his Username in the LH pane, you will be given a menu: in the list will be Send a Private Message.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back