• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (46 Viewers)

On one of the gull 'crossbars' was an adult Yellow legged gull (or that's what it looked like through bins). On route to the west hide for closer views, I bumped into Alan H who told me that he had got some pics of the gull.
(Is this a first for the year Phil)

Two year ticks today for the reserve (Sand Martin and YL Gull) plus a further two month ticks (Grey Wag and Siskin).

The Sand Martin was the joint fourth earliest ever following 5th March in 2002 and 2007, 8th March in 2003 and 9th March in 2001.

Last edited:
With sightings from Rob E, Gert, Sy V, Andy P, Mark S and me, today on the reserve a minimum of 62 species were recorded.:t:

Not bad for early March at a "badly managed" series of puddles and muddy scrapes in the middle of a land-locked county!

B :):t::-O

Last edited:
Sorry, still haven't figured out how to resize on me new puter - anyways, the attached pic shows what I reckon is the Yellow Legged birdy - the adult on the right in the picture - happy to be shot down. Can't see the b*ggers legs 8-P

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/6967594991/in/photostream

Hi Gert, what software are you using?, As you probably know the forum specify 1024 along the length and max of 900 for height plus a maximum of 325 kb. Using photoshop I resize mine to the length/height first dependent on whether its a portrait or landscape pressing the link chain keeps the pic proportions then when i "save as" i move the quality bar down until it fits under the 325 max. hope that helps. there is certainly a wealth of photographic talent out there. Cheers Dennis

Gert

As Dennis says, it really is dependent upon the S/W that you're using. I know what I do in ACDSee (Pro 5.1), but it's of little use to you unless that's the package you're using too.
I'm happy to reduce it for you if you want to chuck it my way in an e-mail, though mate.

A first winter Common Gull just flew over the moors. Good views of two Peregrines earlier plus singing Goldcrest and Lesser Redpoll in the ed res. At least four Oycs on site today but no sign of any Avocets - I wonder what they're up to?

Resize Photos

Sorry, still haven't figured out how to resize on me new puter - anyways, the attached pic shows what I reckon is the Yellow Legged birdy - the adult on the right in the picture - happy to be shot down. Can't see the b*ggers legs 8-P

Depending on which Operating System you're using, you can resize your photos simply and effectively by using the Microsoft Image Resize Toy. Two links, one for XP, one for the Vista/Windows 7 & 8
Haven't used these links for ages so hope they work.

http://download.cnet.com/Image-Resizer-Powertoy-for-Windows-XP/3000-18487_4-10905400.html

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/image-resizer-powertoy-clone-for-windows-7vista/

Not sure but is this the Common Gull that Woodchat reported. It is slighty bigger that Black H Gull but smaller that H. Gull. It looks darker in the first image than it was through bins.

Mink also seen today, reported to Ivan. He has got a new raft so trap should be out soon.

Rob

Attachments

• Web _ROB2349.jpg
    Web _ROB2349.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Web _ROB2350.jpg
    Web _ROB2350.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 103
Got to the Flashes in thick fog this morning. The calls of Curlew and Lapwing were very evocative, but no Avocet or LRP. Stayed for nearly 4 hours and the birds seen were;

Redpoll 12
Gadwall Pair
Lapwing 2/3 pairs displaying
Oystercatcher 1
Water Rail 2 calling
Sparrowhawk male in hedge by path
Buzzard 2
Kestrel 1
Several Reed Bunting
Curlew 5
Skylark 3 over
Linnet 5
Starling 10
Mistle Thrush in song
Goldcrest 1

Attached are some birders views of foggy Curlew and Lapwing and others.. with thanks to Dennis, Sy and Snow-Bunting on re sizing instructions

Attachments

• Curlew2BF.jpg
    Curlew2BF.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 42
  • LapwingsDisp.jpg
    LapwingsDisp.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Lapwing3BF.jpg
    Lapwing3BF.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 41
  • RobibBF.jpg
    RobibBF.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Not sure but is this the Common Gull that Woodchat reported. It is slighty bigger that Black H Gull but smaller that H. Gull. It looks darker in the first image than it was through bins.

Mink also seen today, reported to Ivan. He has got a new raft so trap should be out soon.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Your bird is a Lesser Black-backed Gull.

Another Yellow-legged Gull (a second-winter) was at the Moors Pool this afternoon, pics here.

Brian

A couple of pics of the 2nd w Yellow legged gull on the Moors this PM.B :)
Thanks for the confirmation Brian.:t:

Chris

Attachments

• yelleg 1 copy.jpg
    yelleg 1 copy.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 334
  • yelleg 8 copy.jpg
    yelleg 8 copy.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 308
  • yelleg 7 copy.jpg
    yelleg 7 copy.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 285
Hi Rob,

Your bird is a Lesser Black-backed Gull.

Another Yellow-legged Gull (a second-winter) was at the Moors Pool this afternoon, pics here.

Brian

To get a bit of a conversation going, to me the first gull looks like a dark mantled Common Gull (dare I mention 2w heinei) and the shots of the new 2w Yellow-leg look more like a argentatus Herring Gull

Bird doesn't feel right for YLG, head shape seems out, legs are pink, prominent window on the inner primaries and mantle shade seems more argentatus to me but willing to hear others views on this bird.

Also in the first picture of the Common Gull is that another bird sat on the island facing us or an over exposed Black-head?

To get a bit of a conversation going, to me the first gull looks like a dark mantled Common Gull (dare I mention 2w heinei) and the shots of the new 2w Yellow-leg look more like a argentatus Herring Gull

Bird doesn't feel right for YLG, head shape seems out, legs are pink, prominent window on the inner primaries and mantle shade seems more argentatus to me but willing to hear others views on this bird.

Also in the first picture of the Common Gull is that another bird sat on the island facing us or an over exposed Black-head?

That was the only bird amongst the BHs & yes they are overexpposed. I noticed it because it was not much larger than the BHs.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your comments.

The Lesser Black-backed Gull in Rob's pics is too big to be a Common Gull and the mantle colour is also too dark for Common (of any form), even allowing for any photographic effects when compared with the grey of the surrounding B-h Gulls.

The Yellow-legged Gull is pretty much a 'classic' bird. When Chris showed me the pics on the back of his camera I ask him to email me some flight shots (or at least with spread wings) and this he has done to perfection.

I agree in the pic of it resting and looking to the left, the mantle does look too pale but looks fine in the other pics, so presumably this is just a lighting effect. Also, have a look at the tail band. It's black, well defined and solid which would be unusual in any European-race Herring Gull, the pink legs are typical of this age while the rather sturdy and blunt tipped bill, the solid bases to the tertials, the well marked pale panel on the upper wing, the dark eye, clean white head with a gentle (almost Common Gull like) expression all help nail it as a second-winter YLG.

Cheers, Brian

Dropped into flashes about 08.00 after the Yellow Browed Warbler in Worcs. 4 Avocets on the flashes chasing each other and being chased by BH Gulls. Curlew and oystercatcher around 3rd flash. All getting a bit active with BH Gulls starting to defend islands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back