• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help: blue jay found on porch (1 Viewer)

Waterstorm

this morning i found a blue jay on my porch
it's parent was fending off my cats......my mother in law has birds and she said it would stand a chance if i left it alone and brought it in so i put it in an old hamster cage and went to the pet store. the man there gave me some food and instructed me on how to hand feed it......any advise would be apreciated.

Blue Jay

If it`s not injured you should return it to a nice quite spot in sight of the parents and if at all possible keep the cats in for a day or so.

Hi, Waterstorm! I see this is your first post, so a warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

Robert is absolutely right in his advice, especially about keeping your cats indoors for a few days until this chick fledges and can fly. Here's a page of info that will help, but you need to call a vet or a bird rehabber if you can't return the chick to its nest in a safe place.

Also, you should know that you cannot legally keep this bird as it's a federally protected species (as are all wild birds in the US except for a few such as House Sparrows, European Starlings, and Pigeons).

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=36564

Please keep us posted, will you? :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back