• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August 2006 theme challenge - 'Butterflies, Moths and other Insects' - how to enter (1 Viewer)

IanF

The theme for August 2006 is 'Butterflies, Moths and other Insects' - a clumsy title but covers the Gallery forum names.

The rules must be adhered to in order to avoid disqualification.

The Moderators decision is final.

Rules -

1. Entries to have been taken in the last twelve months i.e. since 1st August 2005.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry - must at least include month and year.
3. Entries to be uploaded between 1st-20th midnight BST.
4. Your entry must be of a wild living subject - not one in captivity.
5. Location taken to be included and to include at least the county/state and country.
6. One entry per member.
7. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added/removed in order to enhance the shot - no composite images.
8. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However, you have until the closing date/time of this competition to ensure that your entry meets criteria as regards details/description.
9. The entry must be your own work and not previously submitted in a competition on this site.
10. Please add the Common Name if possible - this rule has been relaxed due to difficulties in indentification of some species (please add the scientific name too if you can).
11. Details of photo equipment used to be included.
12. Comments are permitted on entries.

Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery

A voting booth will be posted after the 20th.

Please note 30 entries will be selected for addition to the voting booth for members to vote upon.

The entries not selected for inclusion in the voting booth will be moved to their respective Gallery forum.

Any queries about this months competition, please post below.

Limits on photo size and kb are determined by the Gallery limits.

The proposed monthly themes are listed in the Competition forum -here however they are subject to amendment and designation as 'prize competition' themes which will appear periodically.

Ill have to get my damsel fly sent in, im only a point and shooter but everything was right in my eye and i have only cropped the image.
Was thinking about posting it and this sounds a good enough reason.
All the best,
James

Judging by the amount of Gallery entries during the last couple of weeks should be no shortage of subjects.Look forward to seeing the entries.

txmomlovell said:
What are the prizes if you win?
Absolutely nowt!

We run monthly theme challenges which members are invited to enter. The winning entry is placed into the Monthly Competition Winners forum in the Gallery.

Occasionally we run prize competitons, details of which are posted as and when they arise.

August Monthly Comp.

Hi Ian,

You must have done this a thousand times, but could you please, please give me a guideline, in easy steps, how to upload pictures for the Competition, or is there anywhere on the website that explains this.
Thanks, much appreciated, Don.

Kalispera said:
Hi Ian,

You must have done this a thousand times, but could you please, please give me a guideline, in easy steps, how to upload pictures for the Competition, or is there anywhere on the website that explains this.
Thanks, much appreciated, Don.
First thing to do is to prepare your entry by cropping it to the proportions you want and then resize it to under 800x800 and then reduce the file size usually by using the 'save as' or 'save for web' function of your photo software. An alternate method is to use noise filtration software such as Picturecooler or NeatImage. File size has to be below 200kb.

Once your entry is ready click on this link - Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery - uploads
and follow the instructions. In essence on the page that opens you use the browse button to locate your photo where you've saved it on your hard drive, tick the 'notify me of replies' box and then the upload button. Wait a few seconds and a new page opens and after a few seconds takes you to a page where you fill in your details and details to comply with the rules above. Then clock the upload button and your photo will appear in the competition :t:

Any probs then let me know.

IanF said:
First thing to do is to prepare your entry by cropping it to the proportions you want and then resize it to under 800x800 and then reduce the file size usually by using the 'save as' or 'save for web' function of your photo software. An alternate method is to use noise filtration software such as Picturecooler or NeatImage. File size has to be below 200kb.

Once your entry is ready click on this link - Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery - uploads
and follow the instructions. In essence on the page that opens you use the browse button to locate your photo where you've saved it on your hard drive, tick the 'notify me of replies' box and then the upload button. Wait a few seconds and a new page opens and after a few seconds takes you to a page where you fill in your details and details to comply with the rules above. Then clock the upload button and your photo will appear in the competition :t:

Any probs then let me know.

Hi Ian,
I've tried uploading a photo from my photobucket webpage but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried all three different tags that they give. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Mike

mrmike said:
Hi Ian,
I've tried uploading a photo from my photobucket webpage but it doesn't seem to be working. I've tried all three different tags that they give. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Simplest way to enter is to upload the photo into the Competitions Gallery forum from your hard drive rather than another host.

Some hosts don't allow linking from their sites which may or may not be the problem here.

Just click on this link and follow the instructions using the browse function - Monthly Photo Competitions Gallery - uploads

Adey Baker said:
Ian, can you use your influence and arrange a bit of sunshine for us in Britain to give us an even chance in this month's competition ;) :cool:
He let you have the sunshine about a fortnight ago and I don't think he is that generous to allow some more...I should know being married to him.

Marmot said:
He let you have the sunshine about a fortnight ago and I don't think he is that generous to allow some more...I should know being married to him.

I might have to give up a trip to the Birfair this weekend, then - if the sun shines... :-O

Lol! What influence?

Whenever I'm off work it rains and I'm off this weekend and going to the Bird Fair - so you've been warned 8-P

IanF said:
Lol! What influence?

Whenever I'm off work it rains and I'm off this weekend and going to the Bird Fair - so you've been warned 8-P

The regional forecast's not looking too good for the weekend at the moment - although they have been known to get it wrong...

This months competition is going to be really hard for admin to pick the ones that will go through this month, all the photo's are excellent. Is it possible to have two poles one for dragonflies, beetle's ect. and one for butterflies and moths. 30 in each to choose from.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back