• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding in hayling island (1 Viewer)

Hi Cameron

I've moved your thread to the Hampshire sub-forum - I'm sure someone will be along soon with some information for you. I've only been there once a few years ago now, but can remember being directed to somewhere near the arrow on this map, where there were some oyster beds.

Apart from that, there's Farlington Marshes, to the west of the bridge before crossing onto the island.

D

Hi Cameron,

Just to whet your appetite, the following birds have all been found on Hayling Island in the last few years: Pallas's Warbler, Red-flanked Bluetail, Pectoral Sandpiper, Olive-backed Pipit, Wryneck, Desert Wheatear, Kentish Plover, Icterine and Dusky Warblers and Great White Egret.
Shortly after crossing over Langstone Bridge, there is a garage on your right. Turn right here and you will reach a car park. These are the Oysterbeds. Here you can look out into the harbour or walk south along the Hayling Billy Line.
The other site I would concentrate on is Sandy Point, at the extreme south-east of the island, at the end of Sandy Point road. This is a closed reserve, but you can view parts of it from the perimeter. You can also seawatch between here and Black Point.
For more detailed information on what you might see, it may be worth registering with the Going Birding site, which gives daily sightings in Hampshire including Hayling Island.

Good birding

Dave W

What Was It?

Hi All,

Firstly, Cameron, apologies for piggy-backing your post. I'm simply after some specific feedback from experienced, local Hayling Island birdwatchers.

Last weekend I was staying at the Warner Lakeside Coastal Village site, PO11 9NR. Whilst there, I took a short walk (on the site) to observe birds in nearby Chichester Harbour. This is where help is needed.

I saw a wader, which I couldn't quite identify. Both light and distance were against me, which made observing the diagnostics very difficult. Bill size seemed similar to or longer than its head length. I could not make out a diagnostic curve (either slightly upwards or downwards). Other than that it had mottled upper parts, contrasting light lower parts etc.

I'm fairly certain I saw the same type of bird, in pretty much the same location, this time two years ago. It was an equally difficult spot. At the time I jotted it down as a Whimbrel, but wasn;t really convinced. On reflection, I still think that was unlikely, and it probably was a Redshank or Greenshank (then and now).

Can anyone offer an opinion?

As for me, I'm a reasonably experienced birdwatcher. I have recorded every certain sighting I have made (globally) since 1999. On the two occasions mentioned above, I was using Leica 8+12x42 Duovid binoculars.

Thanks and kind regards,

JoeTV

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back