• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice please on eyepiece for Opricron IS70 (1 Viewer)

Little Angel

I received this scope from Santa!
Unfortunately it did not have an eye piece.
Could members please advise me on a suitable, reasonably priced eyepiece.
I will be using this for garden viewing mostly.
Thank you in advance,
LA

Ah right, doh. I used to use a 16-48x Pro Zoom. It did the job nicely.

If you have a local optical shop, I swing by and give the merchandise a whirl before buying. If not, I hope someone else can give you a more informed recommendation!

~C

I will be using this for garden viewing mostly.

Hi Little Angel

This is the problem , a 70mm scope is to powerfull for garden viewing ,unless you have a very large garden of course !,I think the lowest mag fixed eyepiece is around 20x at around £55.00, an hr or hdf zoom would be more flexible giving you about 16-48 x but at £125- 150.00 +,a 50mm scope would have been better for you.

PH

I have a bigish garden, but I suspect you are right.
Problem of course is that I cannot try scope as I have no eyepiece!!
I will try to return scope & get smaller one.
Thank you

I have a bigish garden, but I suspect you are right.
Problem of course is that I cannot try scope as I have no eyepiece!!
I will try to return scope & get smaller one.
Thank you

Don't be too hasty, I used this lens (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-opticron-is-20xwa-25xwa-28xwa-eyepiece/p1002221) on the IS60 (25x) and will give 28x on the IS70. Currently only £45 and it works well with the IS range. It will also give you flexibility if you decide to take the scope out and about. The 70mm objective will also mean you get a nice bright image even into dawn and dusk

That said I used the IS60 with the above mentioned lens for all my birding and it is a fine combination although not as bright as the IS70. At this price [point I wouldn't go down to a 50mm lens as you might find brightness an issue.

However if you can, get to a shop and try them out for yourself.

Perry

Thanks,
what exactly do you mean by a zoom?
I will be using it in the garden trained on a feeder, as well as taking it out & about.
Thanks for further advice,
LA

what exactly do you mean by a zoom?
LA

An eye piece with adjustable magnification. For example see here (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-opticron-is-12-36x-15-45x-16-48x-zoom-eyepiece/p1011379) and here (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-opticron-is-15-45x-18-54x-20-60x-zoom-eyepiece/p1002222) for the zooms designed for the IS70.

The fixed eye pieces tend to give a better quality image but the zoom offers more flexibility. It's a personal choice as to which route you go down many birders swear by the benefits of either. FWIW I have both, some days use the zoom and others use the fixed, I'm still trying to work out which I prefer!

Perry

I have now bought the 40919S for my scope.
It has a rubber eyecup but I find that I can only seen a full view through the scope if my eye is about 1-2 inches away from the rubber cup. If I put my eye up against the cup part of the filed of view is black.
Is this normal that I should be away from the cup, or is there a problem?
TIA,
LA

I have now bought the 40919S for my scope.
It has a rubber eyecup but I find that I can only seen a full view through the scope if my eye is about 1-2 inches away from the rubber cup. If I put my eye up against the cup part of the filed of view is black.
Is this normal that I should be away from the cup, or is there a problem?
TIA,
LA

Hi

Try going up to a higher magnification,and see if the "black" goes away when you press your eye to the eye cup .

PH

2 questions:

1. Do you wear glasses?

2. Is the rubber cup one that can be folded down or can the cup of the Ep be screwed up & down?

If you wear glasses, you need to have the cup folded down or screwed all the way down. If you don't wear glasses, then you may need to twist the cup of the EP up till you find good viewing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back