• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Snake, Mallorca, October 2015 (1 Viewer)

mathare

The attached images are of a snake observed on a path in the s'Albufera wetlands reserve in Mallorca during a holiday in October of 2015. Can anyone identify the species for me please?

I remembered to put something down for scale but didn't think till afterwards that not knowing anything the snake made recovering the coin a lot more worrying than putting it down in the first place :eek!: :-O

Thanks!
Mat

Attachments

• DSC04243.JPG
    DSC04243.JPG
    905.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC04244.JPG
    DSC04244.JPG
    944.9 KB · Views: 66
Hi Mat
It's the species most commonly seen in s'Albufera. As has been said, it's quite common all over Mallorca - I've even seen it up in the mountains at Gorg Blau - actually eating a fish, it's main prey.
Best wishes
Martin

Thanks Martin. It was the only snake I recall seeing, and certainly the only one I thought to get a photo of. Glad to hear it's harmless - especially after an encounter in Kenya in 2003 with a not-so-harmless snake!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back