• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What should SE's cost? (1 Viewer)

@CLRobles
I`m very interested about the comparing of porro and roof prism.
The optical quality is very important for me.
I will use them for sometimes and then write again about my experience.

Last time I checked at the Docter Optics web site they seemed to be out of (the retail) bin business.

Lots of other stuff (glass and optics related) but not bins on their web site

http://www.docteroptics.com/en/Home.html

Though Optics Planet as a blurb on their history and still has a couple of bins

http://www.opticsplanet.net/docter-brand.html

Unless you can provide me a URL ;)
Kevin, They are still making their very fine bins but as it has been ever since the 80's they just can't nail down a reliable importer that will do a respectable job at promotion and service.... I don't know why this is? Maybe something to do with Docter itself but its a shame either way...

@CLRobles
The Docter 10x40 B Aspheric you write about is not to buy at the moment.
Is seems to be a newer version of the zeiss (czj carl zeiss jena) notarem 10x40.
I hope this is a true information, but i think so.
But it is for sure that the older carl zeiss jena firm is now the Analytik jena.
I also think that they have a big problem with promotion but i don`t know the reason for.

I am looking for a pair of SEs. Do they differ a lot on different samples or are they kinda even? I know some bins can perform quite different from sample to sample.

Last edited:
I am looking for a pair of SEs. Do they differ a lot on different samples or are they kinda even? I know some bins can perform quite different from sample to sample.
kristoffer, I am not a dealer and have only owned the three pair but from all that I have seen they seem to be of the highest quality control standards. I think Nikon wanted to make a statement with the SE's and did a very good job at keeping them consistently good batch to batch.

Many thanks for the link, Andrej.

The info link (at docter-germany.com, who would have guessed!) is

http://www.docter-germany.com/en/DOCTER/Products/Binoculars__227/

and Optics Planet sell them in the US (well, the 42mm roofs and a compact).

http://www.opticsplanet.net/docter-binoculars.html
Thanks Kevin, I also see that SWFA sells them. I called them today and they told me they order them direct with no importer....

kristoffer, I am not a dealer and have only owned the three pair but from all that I have seen they seem to be of the highest quality control standards. I think Nikon wanted to make a statement with the SE's and did a very good job at keeping them consistently good batch to batch.

Ok thanks. Anyone know a store that still stocks them? Amazon seem to have a few months delay on theirs.

Thanks Kevin, I also see that SWFA sells them. I called them today and they told me they order them direct with no importer....

Kris and CL,
The SE's are virtually unchanged since their introduction in the late 1990's. The 10 x 42 was first in 1995 followed by the other 2 in 1998 or so. They actually predate the EII's which are/were less expensive. Some have speculated that the only thing that has changed over the years were the coatings on the Objective Lens to conform to Nikon changes. They use the same eyepieces, prism housings and focus wheels. They are masterpieces of modular construction. Spend some time with a small light looking at the interiors. They are flawlessly finished, easily as well done as my Leica 7 x 42 Trinovid!
Bob

Hi Kristoffer,
In Europe, an excellent on-line retailer of Nikon sport optics, including the Superior Edition (SE) and High Grade Light (HG L ) is www.dnet24.de.
Prices very good and service very seriously.
Sincerely.

Alessandro (Nikon SE 8x32 & 10X42, Fieldscope ED50 20x & 40x).

Thanks for the info guys.
The price difference between USA and EU is really huge for me and the Swedish currency of kronor.

dnet24.de take 617€ for the SE.
Amazon.com take $509 for it.

In Swedish kronor that means that the difference is:
dnet24 = 6514 kronor
Amazon.com = 3792 kronor

I really should look for it in the US ;)

Careful, however, Kristoffer:
for the US price you must add the VAT (+20%) and shipping costs and duty fees
(30-50 euros); Dnet24' shipping cost "only" 18 euros, so make good accounts!
Cheers
Alessandro

Careful, however, Kristoffer:
for the US price you must add the VAT (+20%) and shipping costs and duty fees
(30-50 euros); Dnet24' shipping cost "only" 18 euros, so make good accounts!
Cheers
Alessandro

yes I am aware of that. But if you buy from a little less known store sometimes you wont have to pay vat and duty fees and I think even if I get a vat and fee it will be cheaper.

yes I am aware of that. But if you buy from a little less known store sometimes you wont have to pay vat and duty fees and I think even if I get a vat and fee it will be cheaper.
Nikon 8X32 SE's (Nikon 7381) are difficult to find in the USA. You may locate a few individuals who have them, but most dealers are out of stock...for good.

Other SE models...
10X42 (Nikon 7311) and 12X50 (Nikon 7382) SE's are in very short supply in the USA.

John

Yeah, I have noticed that they are hard to find. I l have to check around a bit.

Nikon 8X32 SE's (Nikon 7381) are difficult to find in the USA. You may locate a few individuals who have them, but most dealers are out of stock...for good.

Other SE models...
10X42 (Nikon 7311) and 12X50 (Nikon 7382) SE's are in very short supply in the USA.

John

@kristoffer
After asking a seller of binos it seems that the Nikon SE are all in a high quality.
One question is it how to get them for a good price.
Another question how to get them from a good seller.
Maybe it is sometimes better to pay a little more and to have some controlled quality.
as rivergazer write angelo is a good adress. i get a good Nikon SE 10x42 from him.
If you like someone from europe that knows a lot about binos and is not only a seller (most of the time rparing all kinds of binos) i can recommend optixxx.de from germany.

@kristoffer
After asking a seller of binos it seems that the Nikon SE are all in a high quality.
One question is it how to get them for a good price.
Another question how to get them from a good seller.
Maybe it is sometimes better to pay a little more and to have some controlled quality.
as rivergazer write angelo is a good adress. i get a good Nikon SE 10x42 from him.
If you like someone from europe that knows a lot about binos and is not only a seller (most of the time rparing all kinds of binos) i can recommend optixxx.de from germany.

Thank you! I have emailed angelo earlier today, hopefully il get a positive answer from him.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back