• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30E11 (1 Viewer)

Rathaus, post 315,
We have investigated the Swarovski Habicht 8x30 civilan version and the military one. Swarovski had informed Jan van Daalen that there no optical differences. We found the following data:
Habicht 8x30 civilian:
Weight 546 g, close focus 3m, FOV 136 m/1000m, eye relief 12 mm, 500 nm transmission 95,1%, 550 nm transmission 95,9%, central focus, waterproof, color reproduction perfect

Habicht 8x30 military:
weight 618 g, close focus 5 m, FOV 136m/1000m, eye relief 12 mm, 500nm transmission 95,2%, 550 nm transmission 96,0%, individual focus, waterproof, color reproduction perfect.

So we have no doubt that Swarovski has given us the correct information,
The increase in weight of the military version is probably caused by the green rubber body armament. For your information I have added the measured transmission spectra.
Gijs van Ginkel

Many thanks for that info.

I've only done rudimentary measurements of my military fov, but it is definitely larger. Viewing from the top of a hill - A pine tree a couple of hundred yards away, I can see only the tree in the black Habicht, but the military can fit the swimming pool beneath as well.

Who knows what they do with various military models...it could be a batch thing. Mine was a reticle model but I removed it.

Regards,
Rathaus

I've stated some of this before, but just in case it helps anybody - The military Habicht also has the larger eye cups which definitely improve any black Habicht imo. They aren't interchangeable with the black Habicht because they're IF eye cups, but the large green rubber 10x40 GA eye cups fit perfectly onto a little black Habicht. It looks a bit odd, but works wonderfully. I have no doubt Swarovski would supply those GA cups if a Swarovski owner asked nicely.

Why are we speaking about all this in a Nikon E2 thread?

Rathaus

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back