• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gouache? (1 Viewer)

mark richards

United Kingdom
I've never used this paint, but was thinking of trying some,I read a bit about how you can use it,but thought i would ask on here what you think about this paint , like could i use the same brushes as acrylics...what do i paint on ,paper ? board?... do you need to prep the paper...and do you seal the finished product, thanks mark..

I used to like gouache Mark (illustration board is a good support to use with it). Just be careful about laying it on too thickly as it dries very 'dry' and can crack off the surface over time. Mike will add to this, I'm sure. Give 'em a go.

I like watercolour paper as a support, since gouache is itself a watercolour and does well on an absorbent surface to hold the pigment (if you're doing any washes you'll want to stretch the paper, of course). It's not a great medium for bristly brushes, but your softer acrylic brushes could still be useful (I use watercolour brushes myself).

One of the great things about gouache is that it remains workable after it dries with a little water, but this also means that you have to be more careful than an acrylic -- the paint will lift off if you attempt to overwork areas that are too damp. It's opacity is also dependent on how watered down it is, so expect it be fairly transparent like a watercolour unless it's kept somewhat viscous.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

I use Winsor & Newton Designer's Gouache, but I've never used anything else, so I can't really make a comparison (I'm more of a watercolourist than a ... er ... gouache-ist, and W&N happens to be my watercolour of choice). I'm quite happy with it, though.

Sorry Mark, I missed this earlier.

I never really got on with gouache but I didn't really give it a proper shot.

As Tim suggested, illustration board would make an ideal support as it's only really watercolour paper bonded to a thick card which prevents cockling and helps to avoid any paint cracking or flaking by being rigid. Watercolour brushes would be your best bet too with their softer bristles and water/paint carrying capabilities. I'd definitely suggest going for a good quality make as you really do get what you pay for. My daughter has had some truly awful cheap gouache in the past and now she uses my cast off set of W+N 'designer' gouache she's producing some nice results.

Good luck with it and I hope you'll share the results.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back