• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics to stop carrying Nikon ? (1 Viewer)

So do you have the stats to back it up or are just making it up? Post 'em up. Nikon sport optics is a joke.

I see hunters and hikers and nature viewers carrying Nikon Monarch more than any other bino...

Everytime I'm in a Bass Pro or Sportsmens Warehouse, which is often enough, I see a Nikon Prostaff or Nikon Buckmaster riflescope being passed over the counter to go home with somebody...

This year my hunting partner showed me his new Nikon rangefinder...

No Joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CG

P.S. Why do you think Nikon sport optics is a joke? I think they're killing it.

So do you have the stats to back it up or are just making it up? Post 'em up. Nikon sport optics is a joke.

I think it is pretty well established that in the USA at least Bushnell and Nikon have been cemented at #1 and #2 respectively for decades. Vortex may have overtaken Leupold at #3. On a global basis, Nikon is #1.

For fanboys who want to see where their brand places, you can purchase the reports, http://www.nssf.org/research/

My point was that Nikon and Seiko cannot take the brand upscale. This is no longer the 70 or 80s were Japanese goods are inexpensive and very high quality. What happened in the 70s to watch industry ? Cheap quartz was a problem to the Swiss and since then they have been marketing and pushing the brands upscale. Nobody outside this forum or some other forum ever heard of EDG or Grand Seiko. Problem is technology is moving forward and a $500 ED bino is good enough. When your bread and butter is low and mid binos and you can get the same for half from other manufacturers then it may cause competition to your core business. The way some business works is that you create a upscale brand, became successful then if you play your cards right you create a lower tier brand.

I briefly stopped at a large, nationwide, outdoor store. There were no EDG's, two leftover Ultravids, no FL's, and EVERY Swarovski model on display. Swarovski wins, plain and simple.

BTW...
After a handful of quick peeks...
The Zeiss Conquest HD has a very, very nice view and it was, by far, the easiest on the eyes. The best < $1000 bin I've seen.

I looked at a few others (300-900 range) and, honestly, none of them grabbed my attention...though a younger pair of eyes would probably disagree.

Hollands biggest nationwide outdoor chainshop stopped selling Swarovski for one reason.
They were the only one that kept being stolen.
So, they win on that front also.
Jan

I briefly stopped at a large, nationwide, outdoor store. There were no EDG's, two leftover Ultravids, no FL's, and EVERY Swarovski model on display. Swarovski wins, plain and simple.

SW wins, or loses?

maybe they were the only ones left after the others were sold

edj

SW wins, or loses?

maybe they were the only ones left after the others were sold

edj
Nope...it's been that way for a long time. Leica stock dwindled first, then high-end Nikons (they never did have an EDG in store). Zeiss hung on but the FL's have not been around for awhile.

As I mentioned, the 8X42 Conquest HD was impressive. It was, by far, the easiest on my eyes of the models I tested (Vortex, Monarch 7, Meopta, and one or two I can't remember). Between sticky diopters, immovable IPD hinges, uneven diopters (plus or minus 2 diopters), shallow eye relief and images that just didn't seem to blend into a unified viewing experience I was not overly impressed. HD/ED glass, however, clearly improves whatever view is offered, regardless of model. Again, younger, healthier eyes may not agree.

There's something about binocular quality, regardless of price, that is almost immediately obvious, especially to the eye spoiled by the so-called alpha view. I never argue with success.

Last edited:
I think it is pretty well established that in the USA at least Bushnell and Nikon have been cemented at #1 and #2 respectively for decades. Vortex may have overtaken Leupold at #3. On a global basis, Nikon is #1.

For fanboys who want to see where their brand places, you can purchase the reports, http://www.nssf.org/research/

So post 'em up and prove it. Until then it's just lip service. Nikon Sport Optics are a joke.

On the matter of why Nikon is dropping Eagle Optics: The topic of this thread, I believe; look at these reviews of the Monarch 7 for a clue. It is in the 1st review.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/nikon/nikon-monarch-7-8x42-binocular?tab=customer_reviews#tabs

A cursory examination of the binocular reviews will show that there are 3 times as many binocular reviews submitted for Vortex than there are for Nikon.

This is the only clue that we have about the numbers of sales each brand has and it may not be accurate but it appears that Vortex greatly outsells Nikon in the Binocular formats where they compete!

That may be explain the remark in the first thread herein that "Nikon no longer fits our business model." ?

Bob

Last edited:
It looks like Jan found a friend in jgraider. Odd bedfellows, a Texan and a Dutchman ;)

I don't even know where to start from the link Rick posted (Industry Research Directory?), but what he said makes sense, and in his former life, he used to be an investment banker (now turned slumlord), and has kept track of various markets trends.

Mike Freiberg once posted that the Monarch was the best selling bin of all time. Not sure if that was just in the U.S. or worldwide. So I think Rick's on the right track.

Bushnell and Nikon are like McDonald's. You can find them almost everywhere in the world except Holland. :smoke:

Their low priced optics outsell others because they are inexpensive and have decent quality. I don't have the numbers to back that up, I only have anecdotal evidence from looking at what stores sell where I live and from browsing the Webpages of dozens upon dozens of online stores, but what jgraider is saying is clearly slanted because of his "bad" experience with Nikon's customer service, and not logical, considering that I can go any hunting outlet in driving distance and find Nikon bins - the camera shop downtown has them, Dick's Sporting Goods carrires them, Sportsman's Liquidation Outlet carries them, Grice Gun Shop has them, there's another hunting supplier in Zion, Pa., can't remember the name, that carries them, and even Walmart's sporting goods dept. carries Nikon. Most of those stores also carry Bushnells.

If you go into just about any decent sized town, you can be assured of two things: (1) you can eat at McDonald's and (2), you can find a store that sells low priced Nikon and/or Bushnell optics, sometimes even w/out the bubble wrap!. ;)

<B>

Last edited:
If you say so. Post 'em up and then I'll believe it. Until then.....lip service. I personally don't give a rats rear end who sells the most. I know what I know, I see what I see, and I see virtually zero Nikon optics in any hunting camp I've ever been in.

If you say so. Post 'em up and then I'll believe it. Until then.....lip service. I personally don't give a rats rear end who sells the most. I know what I know, I see what I see, and I see virtually zero Nikon optics in any hunting camp I've ever been in.

Raider:

I am thinking you are speaking from one who guides wealthy hunters,
who have chosen to use the medium to Alpha quality glass. It is part
of the decision making to use quality equipment, to get the most
out of the sport.

You should climb down from your high horse and get into the real world.
Your criticism of Nikon shows a lack of knowledge.

Most hunters I know, are not on guided hunts, they work on their own
for their efforts. The most common binoculars that I see are Nikon
Monarchs, and Bushnells. They outnumber the Alphas by 10 : 1, or more.
That is not good or bad, it is just as I see it.

Jerry

Jerry, you need to get just half a clue and quit guessing. Since you've never been in one of my camps you're doing just that....assuming and guessing and in both cases you're 100% wrong. No, they're not all wealthy. In fact most are blue collar guys like me, not rich guys. I see lots of Swaros, Meopta's, Leupold's, Zeiss classics, Bushnell and B&L, and lately Vortex. The first and second generation Monarch's are a real POS anyway.

My criticism of Nikon is from first hand (my own) knowledge. No guessing on my part Einstein.

Ask Outdoorsman's in Arizona why they dropped Nikon and get back to me.

The sporting goods store close to my little town only sells Bushnell and Nikon in the hunting section. I mainly see only Bushnell and Nikon in Sports Authority and Target or Wallmart in NJ. I've discovered this on my recent travels when trying to find the right 8x32 model for me. It was frustrating since I wanted to find a local place to try out a variety of models. So, I think Brock has a point here...the Bushnells and Nikons seem ubiquitous.

Jerry, you need to get just half a clue and quit guessing. Since you've never been in one of my camps you're doing just that....assuming and guessing and in both cases you're 100% wrong. No, they're not all wealthy. In fact most are blue collar guys like me, not rich guys. I see lots of Swaros, Meopta's, Leupold's, Zeiss classics, Bushnell and B&L, and lately Vortex. The first and second generation Monarch's are a real POS anyway.

My criticism of Nikon is from first hand (my own) knowledge. No guessing on my part Einstein.

Ask Outdoorsman's in Arizona why they dropped Nikon and get back to me.

JG:

You are correct, in this small point, and I agree with you.

You are not closely related to Einstein.:-O

Jerry

Last edited:
They don't look like big savings to me. The EDGs are still expensive. $1900.00 to $2000.00, some Demo's cheaper. The same as some, but not all, of the Ultravids but $200 to $500 less than the new Zeiss and Swarovisons.

The Monarch PC 8 x 36 ATB is offered at $230.00. It has 17 5 star reviews. By far the best reviewed Nikon on Eagle Optics Web site.

Now, if other dealers decide to match these EDG prices who knows?

Bob

Last edited:
... Since you've never been in one of my camps you're doing just that....assuming and guessing and in both cases you're 100% wrong. No, they're not all wealthy. In fact most are blue collar guys like me, not rich guys. I see lots of Swaros, Meopta's, Leupold's, Zeiss classics, Bushnell and B&L, and lately Vortex. ...

I drove thru Marfa TX last summer and was shocked to see it had turned into a mini Aspen/Santa Fe! Growing up in S Texas, Marfa was the place in my youth where old winos stopped off before they went to die in the desert! Apparently there has been an invasion of East Coast nouveau riche in the last decade.

I never even heard of or saw a German sports optic until I moved to Tokyo in 1991. Leupold, Weaver, and B&L were the coveted brands of my S. Texas youth.

I'm puzzled by EO's blowout Nikon prices as well. The Premier 8x20s are still $50 more than other site's "everyday low prices". Thier ED82 is still the same price it was last week - higher than other sites. Hmmm...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back