• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Regarding Nikon Se (1 Viewer)

A theoretical question.

So I'm not looking to get rid of my SE, but I'm looking for the next step UP when the conditions I might be in would be not SE friendly (birding in the tropics or a potential rainfall or maybe a whale watch).

Essentially, what would be a tough waterproof, fogproof version of the 8x32 SE. I (of course) want the clarity, brightness, and especially the 3-D qualities that we know and love in the SE.

So what 8x32 meets these criteria? Let's say that price is not the issue--that image quality must be equal or better to the SE. Roof or porro is not a condition.

What do you suggest? No restrictions. Demos or new are OK. I just want to get a sense from actual users of the SE, what that next step up was (or would be).

Because you can be sure that I will be checking the recommendations out (if I can) at the next optics festival I can get to.
Spent nearly 10 years looking...
The Swarovision 8X32 SV is the one you're after. My wife prefers the 8X32 SV to her well used (since 2004) 8X32 SE.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions all. :t:

It is somewhat gratifying (and a bit stunning) to know that I'd need to spend nearly 4X the cost for these qualities that we love in the SE.

I definitely will looking to see these differences when I get my hands on my first Swaros. I made the foolish mistake of not taking up an offer from a fellow birder to look through hers when we were out birding; won't do that again!

Interesting that no one here has mentioned Zeiss. No Conquest HD or Victories? Hmmm.

Thanks for the suggestions all. :t:

It is somewhat gratifying (and a bit stunning) to know that I'd need to spend nearly 4X the cost for these qualities that we love in the SE.

I definitely will looking to see these differences when I get my hands on my first Swaros........................................................

Interesting that no one here has mentioned Zeiss. No Conquest HD or Victories? Hmmm.

Probably because this is a Nikon forum and Swarovision fanboys are not shy about where they intrude. But if you scroll back through the 11 pages and 300 posts you might find some mention about Zeiss along with the binocular cases and other stuff.

By the way, are you aware that the Nikon EDG also has flat edges like the SE does? I know because I have a Nikon 10 x 32 EDG I and the 3 SE's. The problem is that the new EDG II version also costs as much as the Swarovisions. But they have a 7 x 42 model unlike Swarovski. You might want to try one out. Look them over here:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/EDG/index.page

Bob

Tantien, I`m pretty sure Honoruku posted that he deliberately left his SE out for a week in the tropical rain and Sun with no ill effects, I`m treating mine as weatherproof.

Probably because this is a Nikon forum and Swarovision fanboys are not shy about where they intrude. But if you scroll back through the 11 pages and 300 posts you might find some mention about Zeiss along with the binocular cases and other stuff.

Bob

Tantien asked for suggestions. Suggestions were given. No "intrusions" that I can see.

I'd have to agree with the Brock on the two binoculars he recommended. The thing I like the most about my 7x42 EDG is that it closely mimics the view through my 8x32 SE and 8x30 EII, right down to the slightly warm color balance displayed in the later production Nikon porros.

I also highly recommend the 8x30 Habicht with only two "cautions". As Brock mentioned being a traditional focus porro (not internal focus) that is fully sealed and waterproof the focus is stiffer than average. The other factor to consider is the size of the Habicht, it is much smaller than the Nikon porros. I actually like its diminutive size since I can easily wrap my fingers around the objective barrels for a very secure hold.

The Habicht is a paradox in many ways: it's basically a +60 year old design but with the latest coatings it transmits an unbelievable amount of light for its 8x30 configuration, its tiny size belies the mechanical build quality (the little sucker really is built like the proverbial tank), and this totally old school design is manufactured by the company that is pushing the optical envelope in so many respects. I have acquired some nice glass over the years (have over thirty pairs at the present) but the little Habicht is something special, I often pick it up to look at it and admire it just from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Steve

New 2013-14 Sportoptics Catalogue does not show the SE series, but does show the EIIs along with the IF astros under "Nature." So technically, the SEs are discontinued but remaining stock is still for sale in the US. EII remains but is unavailable in the US. Will this situation reverse once SEs are gone?

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/dl/index.htm

Of note are the new, affordable modular Monarch Fieldscopes (being discussed in the Scope forum)

David

New 2013-14 Sportoptics Catalogue does not show the SE series, but does show the EIIs along with the IF astros under "Nature." So technically, the SEs are discontinued but remaining stock is still for sale in the US. EII remains but is unavailable in the US. Will this situation reverse once SEs are gone?

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/dl/index.htm

Of note are the new, affordable modular Monarch Fieldscopes (being discussed in the Scope forum)

David

David,

Nikon's websites are confusing and for that reason I am not sure that Nikon is discontinuing the SE series.

This is from their 2013 website:

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/All-Binoculars/index.page

The 3 SEs are listed in it as "Premier SE" but the EIIs are not listed.

There are 105 binoculars shown in it including the new Monarch 7s 8 and 10 x 30s. New binoculars are identified with a Yellow Flag.

I started out by looking at www.nikonsportoptics.com.

An index page came up showing a variety of sport optics. (If you click on the "service and support" link you will see that this is a Nikon USA site.) I then clicked on "binoculars" in the "Products" list at the bottom of that screen and when that came up I clicked on "view all 105 binoculars." You can put them all on one page with another click.

Apparently Nikon is still selling all these binoculars here in the USA. There is no information whether they are making them all yet. I believe that they also have a Nikon Store where you can purchase their binoculars.

Bob

Last edited:
Yes, "discontinuing" is perhaps a very relative term with the SEs! Most baffling is that they don't exist in the Global catalog, but continue to be available in the US market, where the EII technically doesn't exist. Nikon's marketing continues to be a head-scratcher.

Used SE's are available but there's really no interest in them. Nikon probably shipped remaining old stock and called it a day. They probably took a loss on the line.

Used SE's are available but there's really no interest in them. Nikon probably shipped remaining old stock and called it a day. They probably took a loss on the line.

Since they started making them in 1995 we might as well go all the way in these speculations, OK?

When do you think they "probably" started taking losses on them?

Granted, it will be tough what with the "inscrutable East" and all that sort of stuff, but give it a shot.

Bob

Since they started making them in 1995 we might as well go all the way in these speculations, OK?

When do you think they "probably" started taking losses on them?

Granted, it will be tough what with the "inscrutable East" and all that sort of stuff, but give it a shot.

Bob
Those 550's have been taking up shelf space for years. Then again, maybe Nikon pawned them off on dealers with ample shelf space. Either way it's no longer a moneymaker.

Will all those interested in purchasing an SE please stand up.

Those 550's have been taking up shelf space for years. Then again, maybe Nikon pawned them off on dealers with ample shelf space. Either way it's no longer a moneymaker.

Will all those interested in purchasing an SE please stand up.

My question was about when you thought Nikon "probably" started to take losses on them. After that is determined we will probably know when they started not being a moneymaker.

Almost all my Birding friends and numerable Birding acquaintances on noticing my SE around my neck have commented as to where my Victory went and why am I using a small old binocular.

(Seems a great many Birders are`nt optic nuts like many on here).

So, I say "take a look", "holy s**t", or some other expletive is the usual response.

Sadly it seems vast numbers of people will never know just how exceptional the SE is.

Just realised almost all the chatter on here is about the 8 power.

Got my eye on a mint 10 power, 10 is not my favourite but it`d be nice to have the pair.

Just realised almost all the chatter on here is about the 8 power.

Got my eye on a mint 10 power, 10 is not my favourite but it`d be nice to have the pair.
Worth checking Microglobe's pricing on the 10x. An earlier post on this thread on pricing only offers one "pattern" among many.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back