• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

superzoom advice (1 Viewer)

Blackdog67

I currently have a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 which I use with my Nikon D300 but I am hoping to get a longer lens to help me get some better images of birds and other wildlife. I could use some advice.

I have been looking at the Tamron and Sigma 150-600mm lenses but £700 is going to be a stretch for me at the moment for what is essentially just a hobby. I have seen some Sigma 150-500mm lenses for around £300 on Ebay and I could potentially afford these (Christmas and Birthday both coming up!).

My question is should I buy the Sigma 150-500mm or wait and try to save up enough money for the 150-600mm? Apart from the extra focal length will image quality be noticeably better on the 150-600mm?

If you have owned or used these lenses I'd be very interested in your opinions.

I owned and used a Sigma 50-500mm lens on my Nikon D300 for quite some time. I wont say its exceptionally sharp at full 500, but nor are any zooms at the top end. I was quite happy with it, that was until I bought the Sigma 500mm prime lens, and I could see the huge difference. I have quite a few images on Birdforum taken with the old combination, but you may have to go back almost 3 years to view them.

Save for the Sigma 150-600 C it takes some beating without spending loads of money,the D300 is a great camera i did have one but its not the best for cropping so the longest lens you can get is the best.
Dont want to upset any one but i dont think the 150-500 is a top lens.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back