• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your sketching stuff (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
Show us your gear, sketching gear that is. Being a nosey sort, I am interested in what other people are using to sketch with. Here's my stuff, for starters, inside my own personal hide (the kitchen window):

Attachments

• sketching_stuff.jpg
    sketching_stuff.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 202
here's my stuff, in the mud! Not shown in photo - pencil sharpener and a pack of fags.

Attachments

• montd'or07 006small.JPG
    montd'or07 006small.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 176
One W+N field sketching watercolour kit, three office type pencils, one scalpel, (pushed into a rubber to stop me hurting myself!), one Daler hardback A4 pad (with yet another avocet sketch!), bottle of water, ramekin dish (to hold said water), bag, FZ20 with telephoto, Kowa 821 on Swarovski tripod. That's about it!

Woody

Attachments

• sketchkit2.jpg
    sketchkit2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 182
  • sketchkit.jpg
    sketchkit.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 173
Curious

strange -I thought I'd posted 'my stuff' here before and had some very rude abuse from some whippersnappers!!! Ah well - here it is again - for the technofiles amongst us - the scope is a Nikon 82Ed angled with 25-75 zoom on a Velbon DV6000 with fluid panhead (whatever all that means!). For the alcoholics out there - bottle of vod doubles up as watercolour dilutant ;) and a comfy chair for the old guy who has bad knees following a stupendous career, blazing up and down the touchline, leaving defenders sprawling in his wake . . . . . . . Ugh!? Wassat??? someone woke me up . . .

Attachments

• FieldGear.jpg
    FieldGear.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 191
I suppose there isn't much at all in the photo of my stuff - explanations:

I have two sketchbooks, so if the birding gets good and I'm painting, I can be working on another sketch while waiting for the paint to dry. I keep coloured pencils with my sketching stuff, a good way of getting a bit of colour in quickly and dryly that can be added to later. For paints, I readily use ready mixed greens and black and other no-nos in the field, not enough time to be constantly mixing.

Here's one of my painting secrets, burnt sienna and phtalo blue make a lovely dark intense green that lasts for ages and is great for conifers, cadmium red and phtalo blue make a good black substitute.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back