• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Who is your favorite bird photographer and why? (1 Viewer)

Cherry Kearton
More a wildlife photographer who perhaps with his brother were the Attenborough of the 19th century, but one of the early photographers who inspired me to rebuild old lenses from large folding/plate cameras and mount them in tubes so that I could use them as long focus bird lenses on my mid 60's Praktica Vf.
I think it was an article in a magazine I came across first talking about the difficulties of early wildlife photographers. Unfortunately the Internet was a long time in the future.
http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/keacam/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Kearton
We may not approve of snares for Puffins but this book is an important reference on how things were.

Nope. I appreciate lots of pics but all I want is to satisfy myself, at whatever level that is. It may be rubbish but if I'm happy, that's all that matters.

Well from the old days there was the great Eric Hosking. A more modern representative would be the long time RSPB photographer Chris Gomersall. Both of them always produced inspiring work which worked for me and most of it (especially Eric's work) was not digitally generated on a card.

There are too many great bird photographers out there, you only have to go on many of the bird or photography forums to see that - and the quality of their work inspires me.

If I had to pick one book then it would be Tim Laman & Edwin Scholes' amazing Birds Of Paradise :

Birds-of-Paradise-Cover.jpg

I will have to choose between two, one being in the conventional style of photography and the other being in that of digiscoping.

In the first it would be Nigel Blake as the quality and style of his images were and still are a benchmark for me. Secondly would be Laurence Poh who introduced the world to digiscoping and also was able to acquire some fantastic images in an unconventional manner and share his knowledge of the art freely.

phil

David Cottridge and Robin Chittenden were ahead of the pack for rarities on the 1980s. I learnt a lot about composition from copying their style.
Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back