• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pf65ed question for Snyd and others (1 Viewer)

tkl

I have the pf 65 ed with xf zoom. My use is mostly in the mountains(sheep,goat,caribou,and elk hunting-sorry to non-hunters). My problem is that at 35x and up I find the image not very useful for counting annuli or points at long distance. In fact I have better success keeping it turned down. My question is, is the WO zoom way better than the xf zoom? I read your experiments with the WO but you mostly compared to the xw and xf fixed eyepieces. The only eyepiece I have is the xf zoom. I want to get the most out of this scope without carrying a bunch of different eyepieces. Thanks.

Last edited:
95% of the image is formed at the focal plane by the scope's optics. The eyepiece just magnifies it, hopefully without adding edge distortions or color.

Seems to me your issue is because your targets are too far and/or the "seeing" conditions are below average. Unless the PF65ED optics are out of alignment (a simple star test can confirm this), probably the only solution is get closer or put more aperture on the target. You may need something like a Celestron C5 spotter instead.

cheers,
Rick

WO Zoom is better than the XF Zoom, no doubt...

Eyepieces make a HUGE difference on a scope and the 65 EDA II that I have resolves excellent detail above 35X. It's all in the eyepiece. The WO Zoom at 52x resolves more detail than the fixed XF 8.5mm which is better than the XF Zoom. Here is something I posted at Alaska Outdoor Directory Forums a while back. TKL, I bought and use my scope/eyepiece combo specifically for sheep hunting. Check us out at the forum link above. Lots of sheep hunters over there. I moderate a few of the forums. Like I mention below, I have compared the two zooms side by side under same conditions on two scopes. I'll stick with the WO Zoom, if conditions allow I can use 52x and see lamb tips at over a mile away. But, as with any 60 or 65 mm scope, 30-35x is the sweet spot for most conditions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yup, I have had both the XF 8.5 (46x) and the XW 14 (28x). Both are excellent eyepieces. After carrying both on a sheep hunt last year I decided I wanted the convenience of a zoom but the XF zoom does not have enough eye relief for me. I then bought the wide angle William Optics Zoom II http://www.williamoptics.com/eyepiec...2_features.php and compared all three eyepieces side by side. Long and short of it is that I sold the XF and XW and now have a 17-52x wide angle zoom on the Pentax. The WO zoom at 52x definitely shows more detail than the XF at 46x and is very bright. I compared the WO Zoom and the XF Zoom side by side a few days ago sheep hunting it has more eye relief than the XF Zoom and to me is also brighter. It also has a larger field of view. Both on EDA II scopes. Also, the WO zoom only weighs 10 ozs. Much lighter than the XW and XF combo. I think the Pentax and the WO zoom is a great combo. You need to do this mod though to get full focus, I took pics and describe it. It's not a hack job to the scope or eyepiece.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
Synd: Regarding your Pentax PF 65 modifications for the OW 7.5-22.5mm, 1.25" zoom. I can not find your post Photos and description? Looked through Alaska Outdoor Directory Forums and could not find it there either? The OW zoom (if available) might be what I'm looking for - if I can figure out how to install/modify the 65's body. How is the eye relief? OW's specs suggest 20-18mm, that would be great - if true????? Does the eye relief remain at/above 18mm throughout the entire range of magnification?

Here you go.

http://homepage.mac.com/perryschneider/PhotoAlbum13.html

Ya, the eye releif is great. That's the problem I had with the Pentax XF zoom. It's why I never bought one. The WO specs are accurate I would say. I have an overhanging brow and a deep set eye and high cheek bone and the WO works great for me. I can use it at highest magnification and not touch the eyepiece with my eye.

Perry, a quick question:

I have been trying to insert the orange washer (the ACE part that you had listed in the other post) and it appears to be too thick. Once I put it inside the scope, in lieu of the split ring, there is no way I am able to put the eyepiece barrel into the mount.

Now, when I look at the scope's eyepiece mount, I see the split plastic insert. This I have taken out. On the outermost edge of the mount is the knurled compression ring, which is rotated to tighten. Just inside of this (falling between the split plastic insert and the compression ring) is a round ring, of what appears to be metal.

Did you take this out as well? It appears that if I take it out, the washer will fit quite easily; but without doing so, there is no way I am able to insert the WO eyepiece into the eyepiece slot. To take it out, I think I will have to disassemble the compression ring, so I am loathe to do that without first checking if others have had to do the same.

I just realized that I have the KO clone version of this eyepiece (labelled Smart Astronomy) but as per the specs, it is pretty much the same eyepiece. So it should not be a problem, but you never know.

I am also going to try to look for thinner washers, to see if that might help.

Vandit

Snyd: Thanks for the link. Photos explain modification. Where did you get the O-ring? Is it an ACE Hardware standard? These WO Zooms are becoming hard to find as WO no longer is making them.

Thanks again for the photos.

Kevin:

I've been told by WO and Agena Astro Products that a new version of the WO E-Zoom2 will be available in late October??? I purchased my WO Zoom back in March from Agena. Only recently bought a Pentax PF-65ED A from spottingscopes.com. After Snyd's slight and very easy modification (replacing the compression ring) I finally tried out my new, but 6 months old WO Zoom. Little bubbles around the perimeter of the view. Same problem that Snyd had with his first WO Zoom. Contacted WO who told me they would replace my zoom after I sent it back to Agena for appraisal as they no longer have a USA office. Said they would replace my zoom with a newly manufactured zoom in late October. My concern is, will the replacement zoom be the same as the original WO E-Zoom2?

With increased magnification the bubbles disappear, but they appear to cause distortion in the image. In my present zoom resolution appears to drop off appreciably above 40x and eye relief appears to drop off above 30x. As I wear eyeglasses, eye relief is very, very important to me. But, so too is resolution. However, good eye relief (speced at 20-18mm) was the main reason I purchased the WO zoom. I'll post the results after I receive my replacement.

In this ecomomy, I can not imagine that WO would attempt to sell their new production zoom for more then the prior zoom sold for - $199 to $225. Particularly, as both the Tele Vue and Vixen Click-Stop zoom's are discount listing for $219 and often available for less. I paid $239 back in March, '09. I'll still be happy with that price if the replacement works per the WO Zoom's reputation.

Bearclawthedonut

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back