• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

stuck locking ring (1 Viewer)

woodhornbirder

I was letting a friend try out my scope, and long story short...he managed to get his Nikon zoom stuck in my pentax scope[an unpleasant predicament i can tell you!].
NOt sure exactly if he inserted the zoom without unlocking collar fully open or what, but atmo it wont budge either way.

I tried unscrewing the 3 small screws on the unlock ring, but that didnt really seem to do much.

Any advice?

Would this be covered by the waranty?

I was letting a friend try out my scope, and long story short...he managed to get his Nikon zoom stuck in my pentax scope[an unpleasant predicament i can tell you!].
NOt sure exactly if he inserted the zoom without unlocking collar fully open or what, but atmo it wont budge either way.

I tried unscrewing the 3 small screws on the unlock ring, but that didnt really seem to do much.

Any advice?

Would this be covered by the waranty?

WHB, it sounds to me like the gasket was pushed down? Can you see it? It's what locks on the EP when you tighten it. It sounds like he might have forced the Nikon into the scope? If you can pull up on gasket it might free it? Just a thought, Bryce...

No advice. But I do feel your pain.

I have had problems with removing some EPs (usually with that "capture" lip). Making sure the rings was fully loose and I was "square on" when pulling gout the EP along the optical axis finally would get it out (so it doesn't tilt in the EP mounting ... giving a tight fit that holds it solidly in place). Biut it did give me pause for thought first time it happened thinking "damn, the EP is really stuck". Not too sure what mine was snagging on but perhaps yours is the next step up. It could be just very tight clearances. Or the EP lip being in just the wrong place with a little tilt.

If that doesn't work then I think you might have got to the point where you need to talk to Pentax. If you are the original owner the no-fault warranty should cover this, I would ahve thought.

"If that doesn't work then I think you might have got to the point where you need to talk to Pentax. If you are the original owner the no-fault warranty should cover this, I would ahve thought."

further complication.....I ordered the scope from canada(an ebay purchase from camera shop over there) The bloke i spoke to yesterday, seemed to think pentax uk would take a dim view of this. I just assumed that the warranty would be valid world wide, but it maybe be done a on a regional basis.
If they get funny with me they may tell me to send it back to canada for repair, which would be real waste of money!

ofcourse i can rightly tell them its impossible to buy a pentax scope in northern england...there are no dealers here.

DOnt suppose any one know how pernicity(sp?) pentax may be about this?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back